Seattle U Swimming Finishes Regular Season

+Photo+via+Mike+Centioli%2C+Seattle+U+Athletics
Photo via Mike Centioli, Seattle U Athletics

Seattle University’s Men’s and Women’s swim team finished out their regular season in Vancouver B.C. where they took on Simon Fraser this past Saturday.

The men’s side pulled through with a win as they dominated 112-89. Senior Jack Baldoni grabbed silver in his individual event and was part of the successful 400 medley team.

“As a men’s team, I feel like we’re coming together. I’d like to say our ‘hays in the barn’ and now it’s time to gather everything and piece it all together as we get ready for our conference meet.”

Senior freestyle swimmer Julian Morales was pleased with how the meet ended. “We were only up by three points going into the last events and then showed some guts going first and second in the last relay.”

Senior Ben Nussbaum took the gold in both the 200 IM and the 200 breaststroke. Sophomore Greg Raper added another first-place finish in the 50 freestyle, while freshman teammate Isaac Parker followed close behind in second. Raper also finished second in the 100 freestyle.

Sophomore Alex Roderick grabbed a second-place finish in the 200 freestyle, and placed second once again in the 400-freestyle. Senior Morgan Montemayor took another second- place finish in the 200 breaststroke.

Senior Ben Nussbaum was part of the 400 medley team that took home gold.

The men didn’t stop there, as they secured a first-place finish in the 400 medley (Montemayor, Nussbaum, Baldoni and Mitchell Crossen). To finish the meet o for the men, the 200-freestyle relay (Montemayor, Baldoni, Parker and Raper) also secured another gold medal for the weekend.

Nussbaum was satisfied with the team’s efforts. “The guys team has been working pretty hard leading up to this meet, so we went in pretty tired. We swam well, a few things didn’t go our way but we just have to clean it up for conference,” he said.

Unfortunately, the women’s side fell short on Saturday, losing 125-76 to Simon Fraser. There were still a few individual athletes that placed.

Leading the way for the Redhawks with first place finishes was senior Paige Tre who racked up both first and second place finishes (50 and 100 freestyle) while freshman teammate Allison Plamondon also snagged a first and second place finish (100 and 50 freestyle). Freshman Emily Bakewell finished second in the 800 freestyle and sophomore Darian Himes nished second in the 200 breaststroke.

Senior Maddi Lydig earned second place honors in the 200 backstroke. “Personally going in to conference I’m excited, it’s my last conference meet so I’m trying to go in and have fun and enjoy my last time as a swimmer,” Lydig said.

The Seattle U swim team heads down to Houston Texas for the Western Athletic Conference Championships that will be taking place Feb. 21-24.

Caylah may be reached at