Sounders Drop Cascadia Derby to Vancouver

Suzanne Tennant/Cal Sport Media
PHOTO VIA SUZANNE TENNANT, CAL SPORT MEDIA

The Seattle Sounders continued their season with a game in Vancouver against the Whitecaps, and finding wins are not coming as easy as in their championship run last year. They haven’t won in three games and have not been able to produce timely goals.

The Sounders celebrating during brighter times. • PHOTO VIA SUZANNE TENNANT, CAL SPORT MEDIA

The Sounders celebrating during brighter times.

Once again, the Cascadia Derby did not fall short of the exciting and nail-biting football we’ve come to expect between the two Pacific Northwest teams. The Whitecaps took away a crucial three points with a 2-1 win over the Seattle Sounders; a harsh blow to the defending league champions. The Sounders are still seeking to find their first away win of the season, while the Whitecaps try to keep their home winning record alive.

Action first broke with intense offensive play from both sides. Clint Dempsey’s shot from 35 yards out, in what seemed to be an impression of NYFC’s David Villa from earlier that day, got the wood working rattling. A few close calls off the head of Freddy Montero and Christian Bolaños at the other end of the pitch saw the first half finish with a 0-0 score.

The stalemate ended in the 66’ after a Cristian Techera cross from the midfield met the head of Montero, who sailed the ball past a diving Stefan Frei in the bottom right corner. Montero struck again after a corner kick touched off of Kendall Waston’s head for Montero to grab his second goal of the night against his former team in the 80’. The Sounders came back with intensity and substitute Will Bruin found a goal in the 88’ after flicking in a low cross from Nicolas Lodeiro. After a few more close calls and brilliant defense from the Whitecaps, the final whistle rang for Seattle Sounders march home with no points and a losing form.

The Sounders find themselves sitting in ninth in the western conference, and are no doubt frustrated with the form they’ve been in. Next week will see them off away from home where they will face another high pressed attacking team, the LA Galaxy. A challenging game, no doubt. In order to win next week’s game the Sounders are going to have to tighten up their midfield possession and not allow long ball crosses into the box. It won’t be an easy win for them, but I do predict a win for the Sounders. Let’s hope Brian Schmetzer and his boys in rave green and blue can start to make another mid season turnaround like last year’s season and get some vital wins.