The Mouthful: October Recipe Roundup

The most common complaint I’ve heard from those who don’t cook is that they don’t have the energy to look for recipes. That’s why I’ve done the work for you by finding six easy recipes around the web that use seasonal ingredients and are endlessly adaptable.

Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Galette from Smitten Kitchen

A galette is similar to a tart, but much easier to make: just roll out the dough (store-bought is fine, I won’t tell), fill with whatever you may have on hand, fold the edges, bake, and you’ll end up with a deceptively simple, insanely gorgeous pastry that will impress all your friends. This one is packed with fall flavor.

Dulce de Leche Coffee from The Pioneer Woman

Piping hot, bitter coffee? Sweet and toasty dulce de leche? Whipped cream and chocolate shavings to fill half the mug? Yeah. Make this. Enough said.

Pumpkin Muffins from pickycook

Make a batch of muffins and you’ll have an excuse to eat glorified cake for breakfast for a whole week, not to mention that your roommates will love you. Now that it’s October, you’re officially a killjoy if you’re not eating at least one pumpkin-flavored item a day. These fit the bill – try them topped with cream cheese frosting and garnished with a piece of Trader Joe’s crystallized ginger.

Veselka’s Cabbage Soup from New York Magazine (photograph from Smitten Kitchen)

This soup. Oh, this soup. Be still my heart. I’m not bragging when I say I have a rather large soup repertoire. In fact, I made soup on a weekly basis last fall and never recycled a recipe (and called it Souper Tuesday because I can’t resist a good pun). This one is my favorite I’ve ever made. By far. The sauerkraut adds an addictive briny note to the broth, and the fresh cabbage maintains its hearty texture even after a good simmer. It’s adaptable for vegetarians too – just add some field roast or veggie sausage instead of the pork and use veggie stock. This is a rainy day savior.

Homemade Granola with Coconut, Dried Cranberries, and Almonds from Two Peas and their Pod

Granola is so easy to make (and so much better when it’s homemade) that I can’t believe I ever buy it at the store. The coconut in this recipe adds a tropical note for those who are starting to long for sunnier days, but the cranberries keep it squarely in the fall treats department. But who’s to tell you what to add? Homemade granola is there to be customized. Don’t let the man keep you or your breakfast down.

Delightfully Baked Apples from skinnytaste

These baked apples require just a few ingredients and only 30 minutes in the oven, and they’re a great option for anyone who’s looking for a light, healthy dessert. Or for a slightly less light and healthy dessert, add a big scoop of Molly Moon’s salted caramel ice cream. I heartily encourage this practice.

Look for another Recipe Roundup next month!