Bows Before Bros: Top Halloween Costumes

Halloween isn’t over just yet.

The undead began roaming the streets since last weekend, and furred animals, princesses, heroes and different characters dressed up to enjoy Oct. 31. But I think the celebrations will go into high gear tonight since it’s the weekend–only one day after Halloween.

I’ve been liking a lot of the costumes I’ve seen around the hill and am especially impressed with the creativity in putting a costume together. I’ll probably see more characters tonight, but so far, here are some of my favorite costumes (all of which were made/put together–not store-bought).

5. Dr. Seuss

I saw this cat dude last weekend, wearing a top hat, zipped up fitted black hoodie, black jeans, white gloves and a cut shirt that was used as Dr. Seuss’ white belly. His face was painted white with drawings of a cat nose and whiskers. I especially liked that he carried around an actual fishbowl with a goldfish in it.

4. Zombie bee AKA Zom-bee

All the bee costumes I’ve seen over the years are either cute, skimpy or funny. But this year, one girl decided to give it a twist–make the bee blood thirsty. She had a yellow and black checkered flannel with ripped sleeves that were frayed at the ends and holes in her shirt. This was paired over a black skater skirt and she wore yellow and black striped thigh high tights. I also thought her pun of being a zom-bee was funny. She gets +10 points (refer to #5 of previous column post).

3. Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy

Talk about a throw back to days of watching “SpongeBob.” The girl duo that put this costume together nailed the look so well, I feel like that’s probably exactly what the real Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy of the series wore. No further explanation needed, just google the two names and that’s what the girls looked like.

2. #

Ah, the hashtag, the ever popular social media symbol. So popular, that it slipped my mind to think of it as a potential costume. One guy knew it would make a great costume and an easy one too–just wearing it large on a T-Shirt. So there it was last night, walking around Capitol Hill and it was instantly recognizable and funny.

1. Daenerys “Stormborn” Targaryen AKA Khaleesi AKA Mother of Dragons
Photo courtesy of Veronica Mazzolini
Photo courtesy of Veronica Mazzolini

Seattle University student, and fellow Spectator employee Veronica Mazzolini as “Game of Thrones” character, Daenerys Targaryen AKA Khaleesi.

I cannot stress how much I love the HBO T.V. series, “Game of Thrones” (GoT) and the book series by George R.R. Martin which the T.V. series is bassed off of. I am obsessed with everything GoT-related.

One of my favorite characters in both the book and T.V. series is Daenerys Targaryen, who is also known as Khaleesi or Mother of Dragons. She is so bad a** (refer to Season 3, Episode 4) and I know there are many fans who feel the same way.

The down side to all of this is that there are no Khaleesi costumes that you can buy at Party City, or anywhere, really. It has to be hand-made, and that is exactly what many fans did at the this year’s comic cons. I fell in love with each one because they were all on point and I have watched countless tutorials on how to make Khaleesi outfits. Had I planned better, I would have made the blue dress which Khaleesi wore in Qarth in season two and would have bought a blonde wig to go with it. But as it turned out, time crept up on me and I didn’t.

That is why I was super excited when I saw fellow Spectator employee Veronica Mazzolini dressed as Khaleesi. Her costume came out so well and she even got a dragon to perch atop her shoulder–the iconic symbol of the Mother of Dragons.