Time Out Session: Alexis Montgomery WAC Player of the Week

unknown
JESSICA DOMINGO • THE SPECTATOR

Last week, Alexis Montgomery, who leads the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) in scoring, rebounding and free-throw percentage, won her seventh WAC Player of the Week for women’s basketball. This is the fifth time she has received it this season.

JL: You just won your seventh WAC Player of the Week award. What does being recognized by the WAC mean to you?

AM: I think those awards have a lot to do with my team in general, like in practice they make me better so I can perform the way I need to, the way I’m supposed to. So yeah it is an individual award, but it’s not just about one person. If my team was not there to make me better, I wouldn’t be able to compete.

JESSICA DOMINGO • THE SPECTATOR
JESSICA DOMINGO • THE SPECTATOR

Alexis Montgomery, SU senior wing, sprints down the court for a fast break.

JL: Can you speak to the leadership role you play on the team, in your final year of play, and the team dynamic you have this year?

AM: We have three seniors, and I think we just know it’s our time to step up and make sure we get stuff done. It’s important to us. The coaches met with us a lot in the preseason, and they have high expectations for us as a team. It’s up to Ashley [Lewey] and I to hold everyone accountable, so that’s been our role so far.

JL: Speaking to this season, how has it been going this far?

AM: I think we started off rough in the beginning, but I think we’re in a better flow now. We’ve learned to trust each other on offense and defense. For example, in last night’s game [Feb. 8], I know Kamira [Sanders] was out and we had a lot of people step up, which was nice. So, I just think we’re gaining more confidence in each other as the games go on.

JL: What are your predictions for how this season will play out, and what are some challenges ahead?

AM: I think if we play to our capabilities we will be successful. We have a pretty long road trip against New Mexico and Rio Grande Valley coming up, and it’s going to be a grind. So, we just have to get our mindset right and get those wins on the road.

JL: How has Coach Barcomb, the new coach this season, changed the dynamic on the team? What has that transition been like?

AM: I think she came in and she really laid out her expectations for us, and made it clear to each and every one of us what she needed from us, and what she expected us to do. So, having Skip, Tony, Jodie, and Suzie [the coaching staff] here have been fantastic. After establishing her expectations, it was then on us as a team to fulfill them.

Jacqueline may be reached at