The Week in Review

Larry Nassar to Spend Rest of Life in Prison—

On Wednesday Jan. 24, Larry Nassar, 54, plead guilty to seven counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct in Michigan, receiving 175 years in prison. Nassar was a doctor of osteopathic medicine as well as a trainer for USA Gymnastics, and an assistant professor at Michigan State University. Over 160 young girls have alleged assault, many of whom gave statements during Nassar’s trial. Since those allegations surfaced, Nassar has parted with USA Gymnastics and his position at Michigan State has been terminated. Following his sentencing, the United States Olympic Committee demanded that every board member of USA Gymnastics step down, which they did. Michigan State University remains under re a er the president of the university resigned.

General Upset Following Grammy Awards—

Many were excited for the 60th Annual Grammy Awards over the weekend, but stars and critics alike have voiced their disappointment following the show. When asked about the lack of women receiving awards a er the show, Recording Academy President Neil Portnow said that women need to “step up” if they want recognition. He has since issued an apology a er artists such as P!nk, Charli XCX and Sheryl Crow have spoken out against his statement. Many others were quick to note that Alessia Cara, who won Best New Artist, was the only female winner of a general award, and only 11 out of 84 categories were awarded to women. Lorde, who was nominated for Album of the Year, was notably absent from the performance list, and Hillary Clinton made a cameo in a sketch alongside Snoop Dogg and Cardi B, reading excerpts from “Fire and Fury.” e responses to the event continue to be overwhelmingly negative, as the Grammys had the lowest viewer numbers since 2009.

Trump attends economic forum in Switzerland—

President Donald Trump traveled to Davos, Switzerland to participate in the 48th World Economic Forum (WEF) Annual Meeting. Trump is the first U.S. President since Bill Clinton to attend this event, though various other leaders have been in attendance throughout the years. President Trump was in the company of strong leaders from around the world. On Wednesday Jan. 24, the WEF released its Global Risks Report, identifying various factors that threaten communities and economies around the world. President Trump is frequently named in the report as a risk to global economies. During the trip, special counsel Robert Mueller had requested a meeting with the President regarding the current investigation. Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said he believes that President Trump meeting with Mueller would only legitimize the allegations, which he believes have no foundation.

Cryptocurrency hackers take $534 million—

Coincheck, a Tokyo-based cryptocurrency exchange, was hacked Friday, Jan. 26 in one of the biggest digital money the s ever. e total loss is estimated to be around $534 million worth of cryptocurrency. e company said on Jan. 28 that they would be returning about $425 million of the money lost, compensating the estimated 260,000 traders affected at a rate of $0.8147 cents per coin. e currency was being stored in a part of the exchange connected to the internet, rather than offline, which is how the hackers gained access. Coincheck claims to have the address where the funds were sent. It seems that bitcoin users are safe, as the majority of the loss is involved in NEM, a prominent but lesser- known cryptocurrency. Currently, Coincheck has suspended all withdrawals and deposits for all cryptocurrencies, except Bitcoin, as it attempts to deal with the situation.

Ambulance bomb kills more than 100 in Afghanistan—

On Saturday, Jan. 28, an attacker drove through Afghanistan’s capital of Kabul in an ambulance loaded with explosives and detonated them, killing over 100 and injuring more than 230. e Taliban has already claimed responsibility for the attack which comes one week a er militants stormed a Kabul hotel. e vehicle passed through an initial security checkpoint at 12:45 p.m. local time, and the police identified the attacker at the second checkpoint, though they were unable to prevent the blast which occurred near the old Interior Ministry in a central area of Kabul. e attack occurred in what is intended to be the most secure part of the city. e purpose of the attack was to undermine the government, and it led many to question the state of terrorism, as it is the first time medical facilities were used as a weapon.

Steve Wynn Resigns as RNC Finance Chair —

Steve Wynn has stepped down from his position as finance chair of the Republican National Committee amid allegations of sexual assault. The allegations include harassing massage therapists as well as raping a staff member. Wynn, 76, denies the claims, accusing his ex-wife of slander as a result of an ongoing lawsuit. In addition, many claim that he paid large sums to keep women quiet. is incident highlights continuing debates among political parties, as many democrats are pointing to the silence of the Republican party in the wake of the allegations. President Trump supported Wynn’s decision to step down.