After an Intense Weekend, Women’s Tennis looks to Future

It was a packed weekend for the Seattle University Women’s tennis team, with matches in California on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The team started out strong on Friday, defeating Stanislaus State 9-0. One of the power duos in the doubles competition was Michelle Lui and Kelli Woodman.

“Michelle and I have a really strong dynamic which makes us a very solid doubles team,” Woodman said. “We compliment each other really well. Similarly, our personalities mesh really well on the court. We are both extremely competitive and feed o of each other’s energy. I am really looking forward to playing my last year with her. Our goal is to get WAC first team again as a duo.”

Unfortunately, the momentum from Friday did not carry into Saturday and Sunday. Both days resulted in the Redhawks losing 6-1, first to the Academy of Art then to the University of the Pacific. Kyra Jung managed to snag a win on Saturday, and so did Liu on Sunday.

“Winning two out of the three single matches this weekend felt great, especially with the singles and doubles win over the University of Pacific,” Lui said. “All of the matches this weekend were physically and mentally tough, and I was happy with the way I battled each opponent.”

Head Coach Adam Reeb is proud of the team’s hard work over the weekend, even saying that on Sunday the teams had their best doubles matches of the year.

“All of our doubles teams stood out on Sunday and our energy and intensity on all three courts was amazing,” Reeb said. “Michelle Lui also had an outstanding singles  win, and Audrey Scott showed great fight and heart in her singles match as well.”

The Redhawks are looking forward to their next matches and hope to win the WAC Championships. Coach Reeb and Lui both believe there is a strong chance the Redhawks will take the championship.

“Our team makeup is really good and overall I think this is the strongest team we’ve had during my time here,” Reeb said. “We’ve got a great blend of senior leadership with quality younger players, so overall just the togetherness and closeness of this team is terrific.”

This weekend the squad will head to Bozeman to take on Montana and Montana State. Coach Reeb feels con dent in the team’s ability, but they will be working to make improvements as well.

“Our main thing to work on is our mentality and focus,” Reeb said. “Our team is strong and has the ability, we just have to keep working on trusting our games and remaining positive no matter what the score or situation.”

Bailee may be reached at