Women’s Basketball Gets Huge Wins on the Road

Image via Rick May • Seattle U Athletics

The Seattle University Women’s Basketball team started their weekend on Thursday night with a big win against Chicago State—picking up their first WAC Conference win.

The Redhawks struggled to keep up with Chicago State in the first three quarters of the game as they trailed by 17 points. This didn’t stop the Redhawks as they came together to go on a 23-3 run late in the third quarter and surpass Chicago State 63-56, making this the biggest comeback in program history since joining Division I. Senior Alexis Montgomery led the way for Seattle U as she recorded 26 points and 7 rebounds. Kallin Spiller also added some integral points as she put up 13 points on the scoreboard along with 7 rebounds.

Montgomery stated, “This weekend proved to me that we are capable of coming back against teams that we’re down to, but if we just start off the way that we do in the fourth quarter then we could make a lot of things easier on ourselves.”

Senior Jacinta Beckley put up 18 points against UMKC.

Seattle U continued their WAC Conference play Saturday as they traveled to Kansas City to take on UMKC. Both teams went into the contest with 1-1 WAC Conference records, making this another important game that would separate them from another conference component. With a close back and forth game, the Redhawks pulled away with a 62-58 win against UMKC, advancing their conference record to 2-1. Leading the way for the Redhawks in game two was senior Jacinta Beckley who netted 18 points and 6 rebounds. Spiller added 15 points and 11 rebounds, while Montgomery also helped the team with 13 points and 8 rebounds.

“Coming out with two wins is big time for us mainly after losing against GCU. Chicago State was an ugly win, but it’s a win! So we’ll take it,” Beckley said. “UMKC was a good game. Coach said at the start of the game that we needed to find our swagger. And I think that we got a little bit of our swagger back, but we still have a long way to go.”

Head coach Suzy Barcomb explained her thoughts on the game. “It seems to be a trend unfortunately that we’re in right now, getting off to a slow start. We’ve been really, really fortunate to be able to come back in the fourth quarter in both of those games. I think anytime that you can win on the road, you got to get it done, and we are really fortunate that happened.”

The Redhawks host New Mexico State Thursday at Connolly Complex for their conference home opener, with tip-off beginning at 6 p.m.

Caylah may be reached at