World Series Heads to Game Seven

TAYLOR GUY • THE SPECTATOR

The Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros will wrap up the 2017 World Series with a decisive game seven on Wednesday Oct. 1.

The series started in Los Angeles with a pitchers duel between longtime Dodgers ace pitcher, Clayton Kershaw, and Astros ace Dallas Keuchel. The Dodgers came out on top 3-1. Kershaw has long been burdened by the reputation of not performing well in the postseason. In this start, he momentarily silenced his detractors. Kershaw went seven innings while only allowing 1 run on three hits and led his team to a game one victory.

TAYLOR GUY • THE SPECTATOR
TAYLOR GUY • THE SPECTATOR

Game two was a different story, though it started in similar fashion. The Dodgers again had a 3-1 lead in the final innings. The Astros shockingly scored twice over the final innings off of Dodgers closer Kenley Jansen, sending the game to extra innings. The game went to the 11th, where the Astros silenced the Dodgers when George Springer hit a 2 run home run, putting Houston ahead 7-5. The Dodgers comeback fell short and Houston won by a final score of 7-6.

In game three, the series moved to Houston, and the Astros took a series lead after a 5-3 victory. The game itself took a backseat when Houston Astros first baseman, Yulieski Gurriel, was seen making a racist gesture and using a racial slur after hitting a home run off of Yu Darvish. Gurriel has been suspended for five games. The suspension will take effect in the 2018 season and he was controversially allowed to play in the remainder of the World Series. Darvish has been pitching in the MLB since 2012, when he came over from Japan and expressed a desire to “move forward.” Gurriel joined MLB last year after leaving Cuba.

The Dodgers evened the series 2-2 by winning game four 6-2. The National Leagues presumptive Rookie of the Year, Cody Bellinger, who has struggled in the series was key to the Dodgers scoring their first 2 runs. The Dodgers offense exploded in the 9th giving the Dodgers a comfortable lead and a win.

Game five featured the same aces from game one. This time it was not a pitchers duel, ending in a score of 13- 12 in favor of the Astros who would take a 3-2 series lead. The game was tied four times and saw the explosive offenses hit a combined seven home runs in an offensive display never before seen in a World Series. In the 10th inning, the game went to extras with two outs, and Astros third baseman Alex Bregman came through for Houston with a walk off single to win game five and send the series back to Los Angeles for game six.

The Dodgers won game six at home in what was a win or go home situation for them. The Dodgers won 3-1 behind the clutch offensive performance by Dodgers center-fielder Chris Taylor, who tied the game with a double off Verlander who had been on his game until this inning. Corey Seager then gave the Dodgers the lead on a sacrifice fly. Joc Pederson added on with a solo shot in the 7th, leading to the Dodgers victory.