Women’s Swim Team Competes in First Swim Meet Against Idaho

JESSICA DOMINGO • THE SPECTATOR

Seattle University women’s swimming held their first meet of the season against the University of Idaho at the Connolly Center this past Saturday. Many family members, students and alumni came to support the Redhawks. The atmosphere was high energy as swimmers warmed up for their heats, getting ready to kick-start the season. Unfortunately, Idaho claimed the 182-78 win for the women’s meet.

Despite the setback, the first swim meet did have individual highlights. Redhawk fans cheered on freshman Bryn Lasher, who took first place for both the 100 butterfly (57.61) and 200 butterfly (2:09.64). The women’s 200 relay team received second place with a time of 1:50, led by Jennifer Wong, Darian Himes, Lasher and Paige Treff.

JESSICA DOMINGO • THE SPECTATOR
JESSICA DOMINGO • THE SPECTATOR

So. Margaux Thompson competing in the 200m breaststroke.

Wong came second in the 100 backstroke with a 1:01.26 performance, followed closely by Maddie Dickman, who recorded 1:01.30 in third place. Madi Lydig placed second in the 200 backstroke stroke at 2:08.

In the 50 freestyle, Treff came in second at 24.79 and Allison Plamondon finished at 24.83, right behind Treff.

Kailey DeLozier is a freshman this year who competed in the 50 freestyle and 200 relay with Dickman, Margaux Thompson, and Sherlyn Devadason. “They could’ve gone a lot better, but for the first meet of the season I thought it was pretty good,” DeLozier said. The team started practice about a month ago and is still getting into the rhythm of things.

The men’s swim team also took part in the meet, racing against each other. They will compete against Grand Canyon this upcoming Friday. “We put in a lot of work this week, so I was a little disappointed with my results” Freshman John Neton added, who raced other Seattle U swimmers in the 100 and 200 breaststroke, and 200 individual medley (IM).

JESSICA DOMINGO • THE SPECTATOR
JESSICA DOMINGO • THE SPECTATOR

SU’s Swimming team competes against the University of Idaho for their first meet.

“This is my first college meet too, so I just got that out of the way. I have a lot of confidence going forward.”

“We had some good swims and some that could have been a little better,” head coach Craig Nisgor said. “It is the beginning of the year, we are starting to run the team, especially the freshmen more and more, and figure out what we need to do and where we need to be.”

There are six freshmen athletes joining the 2017-2018 women’s swim team. Some of the expectations for the rest of the year are to continue giving it their all and train hard.

Seattle U women’s swim team will compete against Loyola Marymount and Grand Canyon this Friday.