Sit Down, Eat Humble Pie

ELISE WANG • THE SPECTATOR

Walking through the grapevine-covered entryway, the location, the materials, the people, the pizza and the owner Brian Solazzi of Humble Pie indicate that the restaurant aspires to embody humility. From the chicken coop that houses six hens, to the solar panels to the rooftop gardens, it is clear why this sustainable restaurant was a finalist for Most Sustainable Business in Seattle this past March.

ELISE WANG • THE SPECTATOR
ELISE WANG • THE SPECTATOR

Humble Pie uses locally sourced ingredients in its pizza pies.

Because Solazzi is a vegetarian himself, Humble Pie features a menu with both vegetarian and meat options all made with organic produce and locally-sourced ingredients.

To put it simply: people who enjoy thin crust pizza can go to Humble Pie, people who prefer their crust doughy can go to Humble Pie, people who want vegetables on their pie can go to Humble Pie and people who have a craving for a meaty meal can go to Humble Pie.

The only accommodation that Humble Pie does not provide is gluten-free options due to limited preparation space and unavoidable cross-contamination. For those over the age of 21, pizzas can also be paired with local beers, wines and ciders. Additionally, Humble Pie has happy hour from 4p.m. to 6p.m. during which a margarita pizza is only $6.

The green features on-site provide most of the necessary ingredients and energy needed to fuel this establishment and feed hungry customers each day. Recently, the basil was harvested from the rooftop garden, so the current pizza special is the HP Green Roof Grown Pesto. Another impressive component of Humble Pie’s sustainability is its 30:1 recycling and compost to trash ratio. Solazzi also expressed great pride in the Energy Star appliances, a 0.8gpf Niagara single flush toilet and Forest Stewardship Council certified lumber from which most of the structures are built.

The eco-friendly site was largely born and constructed from the design perspective and labor of Solazzi himself who found passion for sustainable design while studying at architecture school.

“I really hope [sustainable design] passes on and becomes something normal, not exceptional,” said Solazzi. “Business should equally value profit, community, sustainability.”

ELISE WANG • THE SPECTATOR
ELISE WANG • THE SPECTATOR

Humble Pie, a sustainably-sourced pizzeria, feeds anyone who needs a hot meal, no questions asked.

Humble Pie’s most honorable policy is that anyone who needs a hot meal will receive one, no questions asked. Recently, Solazzi received a note, reaffirming his hard work and his empathy for all of his customers.

“Humble Pie is a way of showing that we as a community can do better and have the intention to,” said Solazzi.

As expressed in the letter, the cold winter months hold challenges for members and businesses in the community, such as Humble Pie which is mostly outdoors. Because of this, winter crops will be planted in the rooftop gardens, heaters will be turned on over the indoor and outdoor seating areas, and customers can take advantage over the fact that Humble Pie delivers via UberEats, Caviar, and Amazon.

Humble Pie does not stop at providing its community with only food, but also with art and entertainment featuring local artists. Once a month, the pizzeria allows artists and musicians to showcase and perform their work. Solazzi decided to include local art to the local food to fulfill Humble Pie’s subtitle, “People, Planet, Pizza,” which represents its focus on its community members, environment, and artisanal pies.

Jason McCue, a Seattle University environmental studies major and employee at Humble Pie, performed at the last Humble Pie show which brought out music-lovers all over Capitol Hill, including Seattle U students. Humble Pie, which has had Seattle U students in its family since the 2013 opening is always looking to include new local artists and musicians in its shows, so reach out and spread the word!

But wait—there’s more! Solazzi shared possible plans of opening a café that would be 1 mile away from its sister-location with the same sustainability and community focus. In the meantime, visit Humble Pie on Tuesday to Friday from 11a.m. to 9p.m. or Saturday and Sunday from 12p.m. to 9p.m.

Elise may be reached at