The Spectator’s Summer Picks

NICK TURNER • THE SPECTATOR

The Spectator staff gives their tips for summer fun!

NICK TURNER • THE SPECTATOR
NICK TURNER • THE SPECTATOR

BALANCING REAL LIFE WITH FUN IN THE SUN

For all the trouble that the weather gives its residents during the winter, summertime in Seattle offers some of the best weather the city has to offer. Unfortunately, I am graduating in 10 days and have greater things to think of than spending my time in the sun before it disappears for the winter. So, my summer is going to be spent making money to support myself, looking for jobs that will help jumpstart my career (and validate my journalism degree) and trying to find time to soak up some rays. Another great way to spend free time in Seattle is to go see all the concerts you couldn’t during the year because of school. Seattle has such a good music scene, which expands even more during the summer due to the addition of outdoor concerts that aren’t possible when it is raining. There are a lot of parks in the Seattle area that host free concerts and are easy to find online. Also, many bands come to Seattle over the summer due to the fact that the weather is better now, and it is a more appealing tour destination. But, I will be taking advantage of the celebration of graduating by going with some friends to a Washington beach and renting out a beach house for a few days. After four years of stress everyone needs some time to gather their thought and prepare for the future, as uncertain as it may be. I can put off real life for a few days right?

Willy Goldstein, Sports & Opinion Editor

Don’t have an internship or job lined up this summer? See if you can volunteer at Planned Parenthood, the International Refugee Assistance Project (which has a chapter here at Seattle U), one of Seattle’s food banks or another organization that needs help. This year has been a scary and uncertain one for a lot of these organizations, but volunteers can make a difference without committing loads of time. The summer months are a perfect opportunity. Or, if you’re already busy this summer but still want to help and are able, make a donation.

Jenna Ramsey, Editor in Chief

Make Dat Money

A whole year of your academic life has come and gone and everything
hurts: your brain, your body, your wallet. In addition to rejuvenating your spirit and trying for the third year in a row to get a six-pack, consider the prospect of making serious gains—monetary gains that is. That’s right, go get a job ya silly college student! Whether you’re graduating or moving on to your next year of the university grind, the next three months are a splendid opportunity to put in some hours. Money spent starts its life as money earned, and many local businesses would love to hire an enthusiastic student with too few greenbacks and too much time on their hands. Trade those months jammed with nothing but studying for classes you paid for in for productive work that fills your pockets with dead presidents. I only encourage you to make the most of your days so you can keep paying your bills and living up your weekends, but make sure your summer job doesn’t dominate your summer. Macklemore once rapped, “make the money don’t let the money make you.”

Chris Salsbury, Copy Chief

FOLLOW (OR JOIN) THE MAYORAL RACE

For those of you living in Seattle this summer, you have the opportunity to view one of the city’s most exciting mayoral races to this date. It’s no surprise that the 2017 race has been rife with drama following the sexual abuse allegations against Mayor Ed Murray, who recently suspended his campaign for re-election. There’s also been a seemingly endless stream of candidates joining the race including former mayor Mike McGinn, senator Bob Hasegawa, attorney and activist Nikkita Oliver, U.S. attorney Jenny Durkan and urban planner Cary Moon. There’s a whopping 22 people running at this point, so why limit yourself to just watching the race from the sidelines? Why not join the race yourself? Sure, you might say the filing deadline has passed already, but has that really ever stopped anyone? Running for mayor is an excellent way to gain leadership skills, improve your public speaking abilities and get a new perspective on the city. But all jokes aside, as someone living in Seattle, it might be fun to stay informed all summer long and watch the drama heat up as the temperatures rise.

Tess Riski, News Editor

Take a stroll down pike street

If you are dwelling in Seattle for the summer you can truly make the streets of the hill your playground. After two years of smaller tests, 2017 will be the first year where designated blocks in the Pike-Pine neighborhood will become pedestrian-only streets from 6 p.m. to 3 a.m. every Saturday in July and August! That means no cars, more walking/play space and all fun. Apparently, this is an effort to alleviate the pedestrian- congestion caused by the approximately 30,000 people on an average weekend night, and it has the potential to become a very cool Seattle “thing” you will surely want to be a part of. In addition to the surreal feeling of walking in the street there will be more opportunity to soak up Seattle culture and experience the hill more fully, if that’s what you’re into. In addition to every Saturday, “people streets” will be designated on the second Thursdays of each month to coincide with the Capitol Hill Art Walk from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. Shout out to Seattle Department of Transportation for giving this a try, and cheers to a good summer.

Chris Salsbury, Copy Chief

Summer is for many students a much-needed break from the grind of classes. Summer is a time for traveling, relaxing, and pursuing hobbies. Summer can also be an opportunity to refine skills that you did not have time to focus on during the school year. Whatever your hobby or skill, summer can be used as an opportunity to refine and further pursue them. For example, my dream is to become an environmental journalist and I want to refine my writing skills outside the setting of the university. This summer I will be traveling to South Africa for a month to participate in an environmental journalism internship.

You don’t have to travel to another country to refine your skills; it can be as simple as reading more books, writing stories for your own personal enjoyment or getting outdoors and learning more about nature. No matter what your interests are, you should constantly strive to practice your skills.

Sitting in a classroom for nine months out of the year is not enough to truly become immersed in your area of future interests. It’s like a pregnancy; for nine months you develop your skills, but after that you actually have to release these skills into the world and raise them. This summer, I challenge you all to get out there and follow your passions.

Bailee Clark, Staff Writer

pick up a book!

This might only resonate with my fellow English majors, but I relish in the summer months because they finally give me time to pleasure- read. It’s a nice break from the 400-page 19th century classics we’re assigned all year. Since middle school I’ve challenged myself to read a book per week during the summer, and while this might sound lame or pointless, it’s hugely satisfying and makes lazing around feel a bit more productive. Summer is also the opportune time to catch up on shows, but staring at Netflix for days on end quickly becomes mind-numbing. If you find yourself sitting around at home this summer and have run out of HBO series to binge on, pick up a Neil Gaiman or Donna Tartt book. (David Sedaris also just released his compilation of diaries from 1977-2002, which is excellent.) You’ll be glad you did.

Jenna Ramsey, Editor in Chief

Typically Seattle University students would visit Cal Anderson Park or Gas Works Park if they wanted to sit in grass and bask in the sunshine, but there are many other spots in Seattle waiting to be visited. This summer, for those staying in Seattle, it would be interesting to visit various parks and at the end of summer break to reflect on what park had the best view. Green Lake Park, for example, is a great one for runners. Depending on what time you go, there are beautiful views of the bright
sun reflecting the blue water. The Pacific Connections Garden in Washington Park Arboretum is a great location to set a blanket and stare out at the flowers that each offer a unique, vibrant hue. For beach views, there is Discovery Park in the Magnolia neighborhood and Golden Gardens in Ballard. If traveling by foot, both of these parks require a hike before arriving to the water. For those wanting a short hike on a weekday afternoon, Cowen Park in the University District is crowded with tall trees that cover the several trails. All these parks in particular have great views, are easy to get to and free. So, upon arriving to a park put your phone away and hang out with your friends!

Yesenia Varela, Staff Writer

Every summer the same questions arise

What should I do? Where do I go? Well my dear summer Seattleites, I have wisdom to share. My tidbit information though isn’t about what you can do, but what you shouldn’t. So here we go, five things you shouldn’t do this summer break:

• Climb a crane: The “Do Not Climb” signs serve a purpose. Please, do as I say not as I do.

• Not wear sunscreen: Though the sun is rare, it is strong. Roasting yourself like a Christmas ham is never cute.

• Substitute vodka for water: I know, it’s a learning curve. Just because it’s clear, doesn’t mean it’s made with the same chemical makeup.

• Become the futon: MOVE. Seattle sun rays are rare. Walking will guarantee a free and entertaining experience.

• Be boring: There is nothing more vile than these two words. Moonlight streak, take up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, embody Julia Child. Do something. Don’t be the problem to your dilemma.

The most important thing to remember though is have fun. I hope this year’s summer adventures find y’all in good spirits, and may no jail bails need to be paid.

HAGS – Shelby Barnes, A&E Editor