Seahawks Offseason Update

AP
PHOTO VIA JOHN FROSCHAUER, AP

It is almost time for one of the biggest events of the year: the NFL Draft. The Seattle Seahawks have some glaring holes in their roster and the draft is one of the best ways to build a team, and the Seahawks have been excellent at it in the past.

PHOTO VIA JOHN FROSCHAUER, AP
PHOTO VIA JOHN FROSCHAUER, AP

Kam Chancellor should have plenty of reason to celebrate next season.

So far they have made some moves in the offseason to help in this matter. First they signed offensive lineman Luke Joeckel to a one-year deal. Joeckel will play left guard for the Seahawks despite playing the tackle position his whole career. The Seahawks have lacked at this position the past two years and need some protection for Russell Wilson. Joeckel was a good signing, seeing that he is only 25 and it is a one-year deal. He has struggled with injuries in his four-year career, but the Seahawks are hoping he can stay healthy next season.

Seattle also signed running back Eddie Lacy to a one-year deal. After a great rookie season and a solid sophomore campaign, Lacy has struggled with weight issues and injuries. The Seahawks already have Thomas Rawls who has proved to be a capable starter, but he too has struggled with injuries, so Lacy will most likely get a chance to start and prove himself during the season. Now to the draft.

The Seahawks are a good bet to take a pass rusher or offensive lineman (or both) in the first two rounds. They have the 26th overall pick in the first round and there is plenty of talent to be had. If they can get him, former Michigan defensive end Taco Charlton would be a good pick for them. Charlton has been trending upward, so he might not be available come the 26th pick, but he would be a great fit. He had 9.5 sacks and 13 tackles for loss and has the size and speed to rush off the edge.

Another good bet is for the Seahawks to take a cornerback or secondary player in the draft. They aren’t trading Richard Sherman, but still lack depth. A potential future Sherman replacement could be Kevin King out of University of Washington. King has the size that the Seahawks like for their cornerback personnel. What he lacks in speed, he makes up for in coverage. He can play the sidelines and use his size to push guys to the sidelines, making it tough for them to make plays. He also possesses the ability to go up over smaller receivers and grab the ball out of the air. They would need to sue their first round pick on him, but it might be worth it.

Willy may be reached at