Track and Field Set the Bar High for Upcoming Season

PHOTO VIA SEATTLE U TRACK AND FIELD

This weekend Track and Field competed in War X at Spokane Community College and managed to place top 3 in 13 events. The meet took place over the course of two days and had over 20 teams from Washington and the surrounding region.

PHOTO VIA SEATTLE U TRACK AND FIELD
PHOTO VIA SEATTLE U TRACK AND FIELD

Freshman Jordan Kenison set a new Men’s Triple Jump school record.

“This meet is when our outdoor season really gets underway,” said Head Coach Trisha Steidl “It’s the second outdoor meet of the season for the full team and gives everyone a good idea of where their fitness is versus where they want to be by the end of the season.”

The women’s team placed third overall in the meet with 10 top 3 finishes amounting to 101 points, while the men finished seventh with a score of 34.5. Some standout performances came from Jordan Kenison, who set a new school record in the men’s pole vault; Moira O’Connor-Lenth, who improved her PR by a minute in the 5000m; and Mariah Gibb, who finished first in the triple jump while also having a top-three finish in the 100m hurdles. It is also worth noting the Redhawks’ results in 200 meter dash, with Caylah Lunning taking first and teammate Madison Lichter taking third.

Many members of the team, particularly distance runners, participated in events outside of their specialty, using their results from War X as a guideline on how to practice for Conference.

“For the most part the distance runners weren’t competing in their main events today,” Steidl said. “It’s good to change things up and work on different aspects of strengths and weaknesses. Moving forward we have some work to do, but I believe the team is heading in a good direction.”

With this being one of the first major outdoor meets, War X has set the tone for the remainder of the season, which looks very promising for the team.

“The main focuses are on building on every meet, working towards putting our best team together at the Conference meet, and being ready to compete at a high level there. Qualifying for Nationals is always a focus as well,” Steidl said.

The track season continues in California, with part of the team travelling to the Bryan Clay Invitational in Azuza, CA on April 14, while the others go to Long Beach for the Beach Invite on the 15th. For more information on the results of specific War X events, visit www.goseattleu.com.

Carlos may be reached at