Men’s Basketball Splits Road Trip

MANDY RUSCH • THE SPECTATOR

The Seattle University men’s basketball team (12-12, 4-5 WAC) experienced the good and the bad in their last two games. On Feb. 9, the Redhawks won against the Chicago State University men’s basketball team (0-24, 0-10 WAC), 90-64, and lost against the University of Missouri Kansas City men’s basketball team (6-17, 1-9 WAC) on Feb. 11, 102-72.

MANDY RUSCH • THE SPECTATOR
MANDY RUSCH • THE SPECTATOR

Guiding the Redhawks to their win against Chicago State, senior forward for the Redhawks, William Powell contributed 24 points, six assists and six free throws. Zach Moore, a sophomore guard, contributed six free throws and five 3-pointers. Of the 26 assists the Redhawks completed, senior guard Brendan Westendorf dished nine.

“I knew that we would handle the adversity and the environment well, but it’s good to see us handle it in such an overwhelming fashion,” said head coach Cameron Dollar in an interview with Seattle University’s Athletic Department.

On Jan. 14, the Redhawks also brought home the win playing against Chicago State at KeyArena, 65-50. During this game, freshman guard Matej Kavas managed to contribute 24 points, at that time, a career-high.

Two days after winning against Chicago State on Thursday night, the Redhawks traveled to face a tougher test against the University of Missouri Kansas City. The Redhawks dropped down to only 13 assists, significantly lower than the 26 assists they had against Chicago State.

A key player in the game, Moore successfully contributed five field goals, four 3-pointers, four free throws and was one of two players, that managed a steal. Senior forward Manny Chibuogwu also tried to keep up with the pace UMKC came out to the court with by scoring 14 points, including three 3-pointers and four assists.

This performance wasn’t enough to combat UMKC’s 20 assists that contributed to their overall field goal successes. UMKC senior forward Kyle Steward completed seven field goals, two 3-pointers and three assists. Freshman guard for UMKC, Isaiah Ross, ended the game with a completion of four field goals, two 3-pointers and made six of his seven free throw attempts.

The Seattle U men’s basketball team remains fifth in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) standings, 4-5. A standing below where they fell last season, 7-7.

The Redhawks WAC action continues on Thursday, Feb. 17 at the Connolly Complex against Grand Canyon University (17-9, 6-3). On Saturday, Feb. 18, the Redhawks have their Senior Night, their last game of the season at the Connolly Complex against CSU Bakersfield (17-7, 8-1).

Yesenia may be reached at