Sweet Iron Waffle Open New Capitol Hill Location

JESSICA DOMINGO • THE SPECTATOR

Brunch is a big deal on this campus. When the weekend rolls around, students head off campus and hit their favorite brunch spots: Oddfellows, Capitol Cider, the list goes on and on. Although everyone has their personal favorite, it’s always good to venture out to scout some new Sunday morning haunts.

JESSICA DOMINGO • THE SPECTATOR
JESSICA DOMINGO • THE SPECTATOR

Sweet Iron Waffle Bar in Captiol Hill, Seattle, WA.

Luckily for us, a brand new waffle shop has popped up just two and a half blocks from Admin, and it’s one that will likely become a regular—even beyond brunch hours. So say goodbye to mediocre midnight IHOP runs and say hello to Sweet Iron Waffles.

Sweet Iron Waffles opened its doors over the first weekend in November for its soft opening. The Capitol Hill location is set underneath the Broadstone Infinity apartments at 10th and Union, adding a Pike/ Pine location to its already existing downtown locale on 3rd and Seneca.

Downtown, Sweet Iron Waffles is known for their authentic Belgian “Liege” waffles any time of day, not just breakfast. Unlike American breakfast waffles, Liege waffles are meant to be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner, depending on what toppings you choose.

Sweet Iron Waffles offers the classic waffle with powdered sugar, all the way to a prosciutto, crème fraiche and green onion waffle. Price points range from $4 to $8, not too bad for a full meal.

This past Sunday, I made my way to the shop along with two friends and knew I arrived as soon as the yellow tile showed up in my periphery.

The Capitol Hill Sweet Iron Waffles is very fragrant and very yellow. Despite its somewhat alarming brightness against the Seattle gray, Sweet Iron Waffles is very charming. There’s plenty of seating along the outer perimeter of the space, and the scent that pours from the restaurant will leave you salivating.

I stepped up to the counter and ordered the Strawberries & Whipped Cream waffle for $6. My friends ordered the Berry Compote & Whipped Cream waffle ($6) and the Nutella waffle ($5). Our waffles were made to order, and in the meantime we looked around the space.

The right side of the restaurant is blindingly yellow and complete with an espresso machine, waffle makers and a register. The left side is less complete, as they’re awaiting some neon signage in addition to a few more permits to sell items like beer and wine- authentic to Liege tradition. Sweet Iron was still celebrating their soft opening though, so I wasn’t too surprised by the emptiness.

Our waffles arrived one by one, and once we had all three we did the Seattle norm and took plenty of Insta- worthy photos. Mine was stacked high with strawberries and whipped cream, and was so adorable I almost didn’t want to eat it. Then I remembered it was 1 p.m. on a Sunday and I had not yet had anything to eat, and took my first bite.

Sweet Iron Waffles are the perfect balance of crisp and savory. Each waffle is topped with sugar in addition to the toppings, making them deliciously sweet. The waffles themselves aren’t huge, but I thought they were a perfect size. I never finish a full meal and I was able to eat my entire plate.

I tried a bite of each of my friends’, and they were all amazing. My favorite was either the strawberries and whipped cream or the Nutella. I didn’t get to try any of the waffles that are more suited for lunch or dinner, like the Brie & Basil or the Herbed Goat Cheese, Hazelnuts & Honey. Also, for non-vegetarians, Sweet Iron offers a Bacon & Maple Syrup waffle, and a Roast Turkey Breast, Havarti Cheese & Raspberry Jam waffle.

Sweet Iron’s hours are currently set for Monday through Thursday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., Saturdays 8 a.m. to midnight and Sundays 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.—allowing you to easily get your waffle fix almost any time of day.

Sweet Iron Waffles isn’t done growing and is still awaiting its Grand Opening, but already delivers on taste and quality. I will definitely be returning to celebrate, and to try as many of their waffles as my wallet will allow me to. Sweet Iron Waffles can be found in Capitol Hill at 1414 10th Ave.

Anna may be reached at