Women’s Soccer Wins WAC Championship

VIA SEATTLE UNIVERSITY REDHAWKS ATHLETICS

This past weekend the Seattle University women’s soccer team traveled to Kansas City, Mo. to take part in the Western Atlantic Conference (WAC) Tournament. For the third time in four years, they came out on top as WAC champions.

They defeated University of Kansas City-Missouri 2-1 on their own field to take home the title. The Redhawks (14-5-1) used goals from sophomore Karli White and freshman Jessie Ray to help secure the win.

UKMC (8-10-4) got things started early with a goal at the 6:11 mark to put them ahead early, but White quickly answered with a shot from the top of the penalty box just a minute later to tie things up. They went into halftime 1-1 after some missed opportunities from both teams.

In the second half senior Natasha Howe was finally able to get by some defenders to set Ray up for her goal, which was the first of her college career. It was a big time moment for the freshman to grab her first goal at the 71-minute mark. The Redhawks were able to hold on the rest of the way and earn the title.

Howe was named WAC Championship MVP with a goal in the semifinal and the assist to Ray in the final. White, Brie Hooks, and Isabelle Butterfield were all named to the All-Tournament team.

“All season long, we’ve had starters do their part, but we’ve also had players come off the bench and contribute,” said Coach Julie Woodward. “Our depth has been key for us all year.”

The depth has certainly shown this season with players stepping up all over the board in all situations. This sentiment showed true in the final as well with Ray scoring her first goal of the year when it mattered most. They also had nine different players score goals over the course of the season, led by Howe and Hooks, who had seven a piece. Coach Woodward feels strongly about the team’s composure and their ability to matchup with other programs moving forward.

All season long, we’ve had starters do their part, but we’ve also had players come off the bench and contribute.
-Coach Julie Woodward

The WAC tournament win guaranteed Seattle U a spot in the NCAA Tournament. They travel to Los Angeles this week to play fourth- seeded UCLA (13-5-1) on Friday, Nov. 11.

The Redhawks are 1-1-1 all time in the NCAA Tournament. Their lone win came in double overtime against Washington State University in 2014 when Brie Hooks scored the game winning goal.

Friday’s matchup will be the first ever meeting between Seattle University and UCLA.

Willy may be reached at