Men’s Soccer Picks up Win at Home

KYLE KOTANI • THE SPECTATOR

This past week, Seattle University Men’s Soccer team continued to work hard and move forward in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).

KYLE KOTANI • THE SPECTATOR
KYLE KOTANI • THE SPECTATOR

#7 Sergio Rivas takes a shot midway through the first half

The Redhawks (9-4-1, 5-0-1) began the weekend at University of Missouri- Kansas City (UMKC) and fought hard for a victory. Unfortunately, the game ended with a 1-1 tie in double overtime. Six minutes into the second half, sophomore Sergio Rivas knocked one into the bottom right corner resulting in the Redhawk’s only goal of the game. He was assisted by teammate Isidro Prado-Huerta—making this his first assist of the season. Another goal was made by Rivas in overtime, but was ruled offsides resulting in the retraction of the point. Despite the draw, the Redhawks came out with 13 more shots than UMKC including nine shots-on-goal compared to UMKC’s four.

Moving into Sunday’s home game at Championship Field, team spirits were set high while the Redhawks put in maximum effort for their 2-1 win over Grand Canyon University (GCU). The team adjusted their typical diamond formation shifting from one defensive-mid to two, in order to have more control in the midfield and extra support on defense. The Redhawks came off strong putting the first goal away about 15 minutes into the first half. Junior Isidro Prado- Huerta scored the goal—with an assist from Rivas—by a first-touch shot off a rebound resulting in his first goal of the season. Nearing the end of the first half, subbed in for Prado-Huerta, junior David Olsen shot a long through ball, chipping the goalkeeper, ending the first half with another goal for the Redhawks. Assisting Olsen’s goal was junior Alex Roldan.

With 13 minutes left on the clock in the second half, a goal against was made on goalkeeper senior Jordan Hadden. At the time of the goal, a yellow card was issued to a GCU player involved in a slight injury to Hadden. The goal was still counted, giving GCU their one and only goal of the game.

The Redhawks played smart this weekend and plan to put nothing but their best on the table for their upcoming games. “It’s [only] up from here. I’m excited to be out here with the guys, make the tournament and win the WAC,” Prado-Huerta stated confidently.

“What makes us successful is the whole team working hard…being a team [and] sticking together,” Olsen added, reassuring fans that the Seattle University Redhawks are an inspired team, more than ready to take on Incarnate Word (Friday, Oct. 21) and UT Rio Grande (Sunday, Oct. 23).

Editor may be reached at