Seattle U Soccer Has a Rough Weekend

Cam Peters • The Spectator

On Sunday, Sept. 25 Seattle U’s men’s soccer team (4-4) battled it out against the University of Washington. Seattle U gave a valiant effort against the neighboring school but couldn’t quite come back late in the game. With the rush of the last moments a final score of 2-1 gleamed on the board. The Redhawks had hope when junior Tyler John headed in a shot on a cross from sophomore Sergio Rivas in the 88th minute. They managed to put themselves in position to score again right before time expired but could not tie the game. UW fought hard to keep their lead after the excitement of having Handwalla Bwana score into an open net at the 27 minute mark and Elijah Rice score at the 54 minute mark. The Redhawks open up conference play on Friday Sept. 30 against Utah Valley at 7 p.m. There will be a ceremony to celebrate 50 years of Seattle U men’s soccer beforehand.

Cam Peters • The Spectator
Cam Peters • The Spectator

Julio Rubio (2) clears the ball.

Seattle University’s women’s soccer team (4-5-1) had a busy week after playing two away games against UC Riverside and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. Against UC Riverside, Seattle U stood victorious with an ending score of 1- 0. The game was stuck at a 0 -0 tie until the 95th minute when senior Brie Hooks shot the winning goal. This gave Seattle U their second straight 1 -0 win. Going in with high spirits to their match against Cal Poly on Sunday, they weren’t as fortunate dropping the game 1-2.

“We are continuing to improve and play better soccer as a team,” said head coach Julie Woodward. “Our consistency in our work ethic and playing for 90 minutes has been much improved. Our back line also played very well tonight, limiting UCR to only one shot in the first half.”

It was an exciting first half as Seattle U and Cal Poly went back and forth in scoring, with sophomore Karli White scoring her first goal of the year at the 14:39 minute mark. Women’s soccer’s next game will take place on Saturday, Oct. 1, against Utah Valley. It will be a home game held at Championship Field and it will begin at 7 p.m.

Erika may be reached at