Softball Makes WAC Tournament Run

The Seattle University softball team’s season ended with a 6-4 loss to New Mexico State.

The Redhawks made it to the semifinals before being ousted by the top seeded Aggies.

The team started out the tournament with an uninspired 4-0 loss to Utah Valley. UV used back to back home runs in the fourth inning to get on the board and take the lead for good. Senior Alyssa Reuble picked up the loss while Makayla Shadle and Bailey Moore combined for the shutout.

The Redhawks would recover well in the second game of the day to defeat Missouri-Kansas City 7-3 to eliminate them and stay alive. Freshman Andie Larkins pitched a complete game while striking out five to earn the win. Senior Rose Saenz led the way with two hits while five players recorded an RBI.

“I’m so proud of the way we fought today,” said head coach Geoff Hirai. “After the first game, to come back in the second and earn the win shows the resilience and fight that we’ve had all year.”

The win would set up a rematch with Utah Valley, in which the Redhawks prevailed 7-2. Seattle U jumped out to an early 4-2 lead after four innings and never looked back, adding three insurance runs in the fourth. Larkins earned the win going four innings, while Reuble came on in relief for three shutout innings. Freshman Kaylee Ree tallied three hits and three runs batted in to lead the Redhawks into the semifinals.

But the Aggies were ready for them, putting up six runs in the first two innings. Tatum Reedy contributed half of those runs on a three run home run. From there the Redhawks did the best they could to chip away at the lead. They scored two in the third and a run apiece in the fourth and fifth, but could do no more as they fell. Andie Larkins picked up the loss giving up six runs in three innings of work.

Larkins and Reuble deserve a lot of credit as the team’s sole starters, pitching night in and night out.

“I am so proud of our team,” Hirai said. “Our senior class set the standard for what we want to achieve as a program and I’m thankful to them. We continue our mission to be the first.”
    In the Championship game CSU Bakersfield defeated New Mexico State 1-0 to earn the title. It came in exciting fashion as catcher Jo Larios hit her first career home run in the top of the seventh to score the first and only run of the game.

Seattle University had Reed and sophomore Breanna Timmons named to the All-Tournament team.

Willy may be reached at [email protected]