Tennis Seniors Honored in Final Home Matches

The Seattle University men’s tennis ended their regular season on a very high note last weekend as they swept Linfield 7-0. The Redhawks dominated on Senior Day as they won all three doubles matches and then followed that up by winning all six singles matches.

The singles matches stood out the most in this one, as no Redhawk player allowed more than two game losses in any set. Senior Gus Orlando and junior Connor Leahy, who each won their matches with consecutive 6-0 set wins, highlighted the singles dominance for the Redhawks.

“It was a nice total team win today,” said head coach Adam Reeb. “Everyone played and contributed. It’s been a good season getting to double digit wins but we’re not done as we can’t wait to head to Texas for the WAC Tournament next weekend.”

Five seniors—Tanner Berkabile, Ian Clare, Brian Nguyen, Gus Orlando and Will Topp—were all honored in their last regular season home match and the result had to be very satisfying. Coach Reeb praised all five seniors after the match.

“They’ve been a huge part of our program and we are thankful for their efforts and proud of them. They had a great day today and they deserved the win.”

The Redhawks men’s team finishes their regular season with a record of 10-14 heading into the
    WAC Tournament.

The Seattle U women’s match with Idaho was moved back an hour in hopes of missing the impending weather being forecasted but it didn’t stop the match from being impacted. Ultimately, both teams agreed to end the match once Idaho had clinched at 4-0.

Junior Kelli Woodman and sophomore Michelle Lui had the lone standout win for the Redhawks in doubles competition but the Vandals had already clinched the doubles point for the team at that point. They would then go on to pick up three straight singles wins to clinch the team victory.

“Idaho played well today in the wind and deserved to win,” Reeb said. “We didn’t quite play our best, but our effort was there.”

In her final regular season home match, senior Kristen James was honored on Senior Day and Coach Reeb sang her praises.

“(Kristen) James is a great student-athlete and a wonderful representative of our program and school.”

With the loss, the Redhawks women’s team finishes their regular season with a record of 10-13.

It’s now on to WAC Tournament for both the men’s and women’s teams. The tournament is being held in Brownsville, Texas and takes place this weekend. Both the men’s and women’s teams will enter the tournament as the number four seeds and both will kick off the tournament against number five seeded Chicago State this Friday, April 29.