The Becktator: I Started a Small Fire in My Microwave

I’m not what they call a “foodie.”  Once, in my freshman dorm room, I accidentally set a chocolate chip cookie on fire in the microwave, burnt it to a crisp and ate it anyway.  It made me throw up.  So yeah, not exactly a culinary connoisseur.

That being said, I do buy my own groceries, I cook my own food and like most people, I enjoy a nice meal.  The podcast that I got into this week was all about every aspect of food.  If you find eating even mildly interesting, you’ll dig it.  Not only that, but it’s also based locally!  It’s called “Seattle Kitchen,” and it features in-town chefs Tom Douglas and Thierry Rautureau, and a handful of other radio personalities.

This podcast runs a little bit longer than the other ones I’ve reviewed.  It lasts for literally hours.  I was intimidated by this at first, but honestly, it didn’t drone or preach or get boring.  It touches on so many different aspects of the food experience that the pace flows naturally, and is perfect for listening to while you do something else—like, oh I don’t know, make dinner.  

The topics covered in “Seattle Kitchen” range from food trivia, to science background, to restaurant talk, to health and safety tips.  I listened to an episode where people sent in a list of what odds and ends they had in their refrigerator, and the chefs put together a gourmet meal that they could make with those ingredients.

But here’s the most important part.  These people know a lot about food—like a lot—but they aren’t stuffy about it.  As a college student figuring out her kitchen, almost none of what they mention on the show is over my head.  In fact, a lot of it is pretty relevant.  Like when they tell listeners to store meat products below raw fruits and vegetables in the refrigerator to prevent contamination.  Or, there was a segment wherein the chefs test-tasted and evaluated different canned refried bean brands, like Amy’s, Rosarita, etc.  That’s a real decision I might make in a store.  Do I need their opinion?  I don’t know, I’d probably be okay picking any bean can.  But it’s still relevant and interesting.

I really liked this one.  Give it a listen—even if you’re not a foodie.