Men’s Golf Hosts Redhawk Invitational

Chambers Bay is famous for being a difficult course to navigate, a fact the Seattle University Men’s Golf team learned personally over the weekend at their third annual Redhawks Invitational. The team finished fifth at the invitational and they did so by battling the elements at one of golf’s most notorious courses.

“Chambers Bay proved to be the winner this week; a very difficult golf course became almost impossible with some unexpected weather conditions,” said head coach Marc Chandonnet. “I’ve been coaching for almost 12 years now and this was without a doubt the toughest test I’ve ever seen for these young men. It challenged every player both physically and mentally. My team battled on day two and I’m proud of their finish this week.”

Their fifth place finish was the Redhawks’ 11th top five finish this season, an accomplishment that Chandonnet hopes will buoy the team’s confidence heading into
    the postseason.

“Hopefully as they reflect on the experience, they will appreciate the things they’ve learned about themselves this week and, without a doubt, I believe it will prepare them to bring their best game to postseason competition,” Chandonnet said.

Seattle U played their best golf in the third round, finishing with a 294 team score, just three strokes above tournament winner, University of Washington. The Redhawks’ third round mark was the third lowest of the entire event, behind Washington’s (291) and TCU’s (285) round
    three scores.

Washington’s winning score (897) was 49 total strokes over par and the invitational’s best score, posted by Washington’s Jonathan Sanders (220), was eight strokes over par. Those numbers are a testament to the challenge Chambers bay poses
    for golfers.

The Redhawks’ next outing will be April 15-17 at UC Davis’ El Macero Classic at El Macero Country Club in El Macero, Calif.

Will may be reached at