Woodman Shines in WAC Finale

In spite of the continuing success of junior Kelli Woodman, the Seattle University Women’s Tennis team fell 6-1 to New Mexico State in their Western Athletic Conference regular season finale over the weekend. Woodman earned the sole Redhawk point, going 4-0 in singles play and 3-0 in doubles with her partner, sophomore Michelle Lui.

Woodman’s stellar play earned her both the Western Athletic Conference Female Tennis Player of the Week as well as GoSeattleU.com’s Featured Student-Athlete of the Week for the week of March 28 – April 3

“Kelli is a great leader for us as she puts in the time to make herself and her teammates better,” said head coach Adam Reeb. “Team success is paramount to her. I’m proud she received this individual honor for last week as she certainly deserved it.”

In doubles play, Woodman and Lui bested the No. 1 doubles teams from Chicago State, as well as those from UTRGV and New Mexico State. In singles, Woodman earned two two-set victories vs. Chicago State’s Hannah Pangestu and UTRGV’s Dominique Esparza as well as two three-set victories vs. Cal State Fullerton’s Sarah Nuno and New Mexico State’s Chloe Jolliff during last week’s matchups. Thus, the talented Redhawk is the proud owner of a four game win streak, and has won eight of her last ten singles matches.

“[Woodman] is one of the hardest working student-athletes I’ve ever had the pleasure of coaching. She simply had a great week, going unbeaten in singles and doubles against a top-75 team in Cal State Fullerton as well as against three tough conference opponents,” Reeb said.

Seattle will return home to close the regular season by facing Whitman on Saturday at 3 p.m. and Idaho on April 23 at 11 a.m.

“We’ve got to get healthy and keep improving over the next few weeks before the WAC Tournament,” Reed said. “We’re excited to get back to Seattle for a couple home matches as we continue to hone our game.”

Will may be reached at [email protected]