Asking for a Friend: Carlos on Resumes, Emojis and The Byte

Carlos is the better Uncle you never had.

Q:

How can you nicely phrase “I’m under-qualified for this” to your employer without them deciding to defenestrate you?

A:

If you know you are not capable of completing a job for your employer I would let them know. Try using the phrases like “I would love to work on this, but don’t think I have the ability to finish” or delegate and say something like “I’d love to, but I’m so swamped. Jezebel, the intern, can probably help you out a little bit more!” Also, if your employer is trying to throw you out a window please contact human resources ASAP!

Q:

Help, I’m allergic to bananas and melon, don’t want to eat any more starches than I already do, and I’m congested so I shouldn’t eat any dairy. What should I eat at the byte?

A:

Try the Kale Salad! They’re a personal favorite and I get them all the time. Other than that, the other salads are pretty delicious too. Exploring other eatery options may help with finding more variety, so try that as well.

Q:

Can I use Emojis in my resume?

A:

Unless you need it to be the next Emoji Fan Club President, I don’t recommend it, but if you do let me know how it goes?

Q:

I accidentally submitted my resume with skills spelled “skillZ” !!! Help! Should I play it off like I’m just very hip or admit my typo?

A:

I’m guessing you’re the same person as above. Admit your typo, but also admit that you might need some help with your resume overall. Career Services offers a lot of resume writing resources that can be very useful. They might get rid of your emojis however.

XOXO Uncle Carlos

Visit www.su-askingforafriend.tumblr.com to submit a question.