The Week in Review

JEB BUSH ENDS CAMPAIGN, TRUMP WINS NEVADA—

Jeb Bush ended his presidential campaign following a disappointing showing in the South Carolina primary, a state where he thought he would perform well. He spent significantly more money than any other campaign on television advertising and his allied Super PAC spent millions of dollars to attack his rivals. Despite his excessive spending, Bush garnered only 3 percent of the vote in Iowa and placed fourth in New Hampshire. The only republicans remaining in the race are Donald Trump, Sen. Ted Cruz, Sen. Marco Rubio, Ohio Gov. Kasich and Ben Carson. On Tuesday, Trump won the Nevada caucuses, securing a third consecutive victory. Though Trump’s campaign style has always been brash he was especially insulting towards Cruz and Rubio in days leading up to his Nevada victory.

FBI AND APPLE CONTINUE DISPUTE—

The FBI has given Apple a court-issued deadline to formally respond to the bureau’s request to help unlock San Bernardino, Calif. Shooter Syed Rizwan Farook’s iPhone by this Friday. To comply with the judge’s order, Apple would have to create a software tool that could potentially unlock any iPhone. While FBI Director James Comey said that the FBI does not want to break anyone’s encryption or set a master key to unlock other iPhone users’ data, Apple CEO Tim Cook said in an e-mail to his employees that breaking one encryption could set a “dangerous precedent that threatens everyone’s civil liberties.” Public opinion is divided about how Apple should proceed. A poll done by the Pew Research center has found that 51 percent of Americans said Apple should cooperate with the FBI, 38 percent said Apple should resist and 11 percent are not sure.

MAYOR MURRAY OPENS THIRD HOMELESS CAMP IN RAINIER—

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray is going to put up the city’s third authorized homeless encampment in Rainier Valley, near the Othello light-rail station. This news follows an ordinance passed last March that allowed the city to authorize, regulate and help pay for three encampments with up to 100 people each. The three cities initially identified as encampment locations were Ballard, Interbay and the Industrial District. While the first two opened in November, the Industrial District site was recently deemed unsafe. The new Rainier encampment could open as soon as next week on a pair of vacant private lots.

SEATTLE U DANCE MARATHON EXCEEDS GOAL—

Seattle University Dance Marathon far exceeded their $99,000 goal for the Seattle Children’s Hospital and the Miracle Network Dance Marathon with a final tally of $110,506.99 by the end of the scheduled event. Exceeding their goal marked not only a record for the university, but also made them the largest fundraisers for the event in the greater Northwest region. SUDM is part of the national organization of Dance Marathon, a youth-led philanthropy event that benefits children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. The initial goal of $99,000 was significant because it is Dance Marathon’s ninth year at Seattle U. The 16-hour event happened this year on Feb. 20-21 in the Campion Ballroom and was marked by dancing, games, a silent auction and guest speakers. A private donor also pledged that if students were able to raise $15,000 during the event, then they would match the amount. Next year, SUDM plans to make their goal even greater.

WASHINGTON MAN DIAGNOSED WITH ZIKA VIRUS—

On Monday, a Mason County man in his 20s was declared the first person in Washington to test positive for the Zika virus, according to the state Department of Health. The virus has broken out in many countries in the Caribbean and South and Central America. The illness is usually mild and 80 percent of the people with the virus do not exhibit symptoms. However, it does negatively affect pregnancy and is linked to children born with microcephaly, in which the baby’s head is smaller than usual, causing various health problems. The patient visited Thurston County hospital after traveling to the South Pacific. The Department of Health said that it does not appear that any other patients at the hospital were put at risk.

JUDGE RULES AGAINST KESHA—

Last Friday, a judge in State Supreme Court in Manhattan ruled against Kesha in her contract dispute with producer Dr. Luke. Since 2014, Kesha has fought to be released from her contracts with the producer, claiming that he had subjected her to years of sexual abuse, including rape, and unfair business practices. He denied all accusations. The most recent legal decision has caused pop artists including Taylor Swift to voice their support for Kesha. The full discovery period for this case is not scheduled to end until Jan. 6, 2017. The judge said that Kesha could not be protected from legal action if she released music outside of her contracts while the case plays out.