Women’s Hoops Drops Homestand

kYLE KOTANI • The spectator

Coming off a big win last week against UTRGV, Women’s basketball was unable to carry momentum forward, dropping both games to Utah Valley and Grand Canyon.

kYLE KOTANI • The spectator
    kYLE KOTANI • The spectator

#0 Shaylin Heredia takes a jumpshot over a GCU defender

Up first were the Utah Valley Wolverines. The Wolverines won the opening tip and jumped out to an early 5-0 lead. The Redhawks managed to tie the score at 5-5 half way through the first quarter with a three-point shot of their own from junior point guard Shaylin Heredia and a jumper from junior point guard Kaylee Best.

Numerous Redhawk turnovers allowed Utah Valley to carry a 13-9 lead into the end of the first quarter.

Seattle U started the second quarter off strong, sinking three jumpers by junior guard Masha Shtikel, sophomore guard Delanie Parry and Heredia, bringing the score to an even 15-15. The teams traded buckets for a bit, but several missed shots by the Redhawks ultimately led to Utah Valley having a three point advantage, 26-23, heading into the half.

Although junior forward Wilma Afunugo made both free throws toward the end of the third, the score still favored Utah Valley 45-33 at the end of the quarter.

In the final quarter, Utah Valley continued to surge ahead and build on their lead. Successful free throw shots from MaWhinney put the Wolverines at a solid 20 point lead halfway through the fourth.

Utah Valley was on fire in the second half, shooting 54 percent from the field and ultimately capturing the 61-44 win.

Head coach Joan Bonvicini blames a lack of patience for the loss.

“I think there’s going to be times you don’t shoot well but your defense can be on point and today our defense wasn’t on point,” Bonvicini said. “We were taking a lot of quick shots, we’re very impatient with the ball, and were not moving it well.”

Though it was a tough week, Bonvicini believes a few good practices will translate over to the games.

“We can play better than this,” Bonvicini said.

kYLE KOTANI • The spectator
    kYLE KOTANI • The spectator

#2 Kaylee Best drives in for a layup

Their game against Grand Canyon didn’t go well either. The Redhawks lost 67-54.

Seattle U held a three-point lead at the end of the first quarter, but surrendered it in the second quarter. The score stayed within close range against Grand Canyon until about halfway through the third, when the Wolverines went on an 11-2 run and took a 10 point lead into the start of the fourth.

Seattle U women’s basketball will have their final road trip of the year at Chicago State on Thursday, Feb. 4 and UMKC on Saturday, Feb. 6.

Vikki may be reached at [email protected]