Men’s & Women’s Tennis Take to the Court

Women’s tennis split their weekend series, winning 4-3 over Colorado State and losing 5-2 to Air Force.

The weekend kicked off in Fort Collins, as the team took on Colorado State, with sophomore Michelle Lui and junior Kelli Woodman defeating Aina Hernandez Soler and Madison Porter of CSU 6-3.

Senior Kristen James and sophomore Sari Kwee clinched the doubles point for Seattle University, winning their set by a score of 6-2.

In the singles matches, Seattle U won three matches, good enough to give them the 4-3 win.

Lui defeated Laia Hernandez Soler in consecutive sets with scores of 6-1 and 6-3. Woodman also won her match over Emily Kolbow, sweeping the first set with a score of 6-0, and finishing the second set with a score of 6-2. Sophomore Madison Maloney was the third victor for the Redhawks, also winning her first set by a score of 6-0 and the second set with a score of 6-4.

“This was a great team win today,” said head coach Adam Reeb. “Winning doubles is so important in close matches like this, and I was happy we were able to execute in that area because it’s been a focal point in practice.”

From there, the women’s team took the short trip from Fort Collins, Colo. to Colorado Springs, Colo. where they took on Air Force. Sadly, the result was not what they had hoped for.

Maloney and junior Barbara Carey won their doubles match by a score of 6-3 and senior Kristen James and Kwee also won their doubles match by a score of 7-5, giving Seattle U the point.

The singles matches did not go as well, as Lui was the only Redhawk able to win her match, winning consecutive sets with scores of 6-3 and 6-4. Woodman battled in her first set, eventually losing 7-6, before losing her second set and the match by a score of 6 4.

“We executed well in doubles today which was nice to see,” Reeb said. “There were some pressure points in doubles and we came through which was great. Unfortunately, we couldn’t carry the momentum over into singles.”

The women’s tennis team will get a little time off, with their next match scheduled for Feb. 4.

On the men’s side, things did not go as well. The men were in Cheney, Wash. Taking on Eastern Washington University.

After getting swept in the doubles matches, Seattle U was able to win three singles matches, but it was not enough as Eastern went on to win by a score of 4-3.

Junior John Stormans secured the Redhawks’ first win of the weekend. After dropping the first set 1-6, Stormans stormed back to win consecutive sets, 6-3 and 6-0.

“Overall, it was a tough match against a good team,” said assistant coach Matt Look. “We got off to a slow start but rallied for three strong singles wins at the end. John [Storman]’s match was a microcosm of the team match; he battled until the last ball.”

The men will return to the courts Saturday, Jan. 30 at Portland State. Their first home match is scheduled for Sunday, Feb. 7 against the University of Idaho.

AJ may be reached at