The Guidance Counselor on Applying for The Spectator and Bad Exes

Emily is not a licensed guidance counselor, but neither was Ann Landers.

Q:

So I’m thinking about applying for The Spectator next school year. I was just wondering if you think it is a good opportunity and do you have an idea of how much the stipend is?

A:

Right on! Working for a school newspaper exercises discipline, establishes resilience, while fostering and perpetuating a process of curiosity through asking and finding answers to your own questions. It’s a great thing to put on your resume for future employers, especially if you’re in journalism or envisioning a career in newspaper or media. I’m not gonna speak about my own or my colleagues’ financial compensations (that’s not classy), but that will be discussed if and when you get the position! And who knows, maybe it’s available online.

Q:

My ex is trash but I get bored when I don’t have a guy in my life and always end up talking to him anyway, and sometimes booty calling him. I know he’s not good for me but what should I do?

A:

Admitting is the first step, baby! You already know what’s good for you—which is commendable—so as for effectively eliminating even the potential for communication: delete his number, unfriend/block him on social media and don’t check up on his internet presence. I think that the, “out of sight, out of mind” premise will do you well here. In the interim, take a hot bath, exfoliate and decisively raise your standards. As acknowledged in last week’s edition, I guess fall is break up season, so, uh, your possibilities are increasing?

Bye!
Emily

To submit a question, visit guidance-counselor.tumblr.com

↑ Back to top