Summer in Seattle

Summer

in

Seattle

Another year has come and gone. We, the editors of the Spectator, have tried our best to bring our Seattle University community relevant, engaging, thought provoking, and entertaining coverage throughout the year. We realize that many will remain in Seattle during the summer at a time when the Spectator will be on pause until the start of the next academic year. But, we will not leave you hanging. Here are our top picks for what to do until then. See you later.
Bianca Sewake, outgoing Online Content Editor & Managing Editor

“Disguise,” Seattle Art Museum

Seattle Art Museum | June 18 – Sept. 7
Wearing a mask isn’t always a bad thing. Disguise: Masks & Global African Art, will consider the past, present and future of disguise. The exhibition will include 50 masks, 10 costumes and 100 objects that show the evolution of disguise in the contemporary African and diaspora contexts. With both startling and joyful but also serious and menacing works, the exhibit shows that sometimes the best way to deal with the unexplained is by organizing a masquerade.
—Melissa Lin

Join a Book Club

Various times and locations
You know how everyone always says they would love to read for pleasure, but they just have too many assigned readings to manage? Well, summer is starting and your excuse has officially left the building. This city has a slew of book clubs, which can be found via the networking site Reader’s Circle or Seattle Public Library’s reading group calendar. Here’s to a long, lazy, literary summer.
—Caroline Ferguson

Disney’s “Fantasia” at Seattle Symphony

Benaroya Hall | June 26-27 | 8 p.m.
For our generation, there are few childhood images more iconic than Mickey Mouse in his red robe and sorcerer’s hat. The image comes from Disney’s “Fantasia,” a classic film featuring eight animated segments set to classical music masterpieces. This summer, our own Seattle Symphony is bringing to life the musical magic and childhood charm of “Fantasia” with a live performance of the film’s most memorable moments—all while the movie is projected on a big screen behind the orchestra.
—Maggie Molloy

Hike the State

Seattle REI | June 17 | 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
It’s like speed dating. Learn about new hiking trails across the state of Washington. You’ll have seven minutes learning about a region and then you’ll be off to learn about another one. Hiking enthusiasts and seasoned hikers are all welcomed. Meet fellow hikers. Exchange stories. Who knows? You just might even create your own hiking crew for the summer. That’ll be fun. RSVP online at wta.org.
—Bianca Sewake

Sunday Sailing

South Lake Union | Sunday | 10 a.m.
Boats abound on Sundays in Lake Union, and you could play captain. Take to the beautiful waters off the edge of Gas Works Park and explore the first of Seattle’s most beloved blue holes. There are sailboats and steamboats and electric boats and paddle boats, and you could get a free ride in any of them! Every Sunday at 10 a.m. sign-ups open, and they go quick. Get there early for a boat-load of fun.
More info here: https://cwb.org/events/cast-off/
—Mason Bryan

Tanabata Festival

Seattle Japanese Garden | July 11 | 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
In Japan, the Tanabata Festival aka Star Festival celebrates the legend of two separated lovers. They are represented by two stars that only meet once a year in July. Make origami and hang it on the bamboo by the garden gates to join the celebration of this magical, and fleeting, moment.
—Bianca Sewake

Slide The City’s Giant Slip N Slide

July | Downtown
A thousand foot slip n’ slide straight down the tubes of Downtown? What else could you need? As long as you’re three feet and ten inches tall, you’re set. They give you a mouth guard and swank tattoo for tearing it down Seattle’s famous hills on your own personal floatie. The thirty buck price tag might seem a little steep but that’s good for a few runs throughout the day. But apparently it’s dangerous if you’re pregnant, so maybe take it slow? If that’s possible, I dunno, either way it sounds like a soaking way to handle that Seattle summer sun.
—Connor Cartmill

Alki Beach

Pick a sunny day, and go.
Pack up the car with all of your friends and head south, then west. Your first destination: Alki Beach. There, you and the buddies can frolic around a white sand beach, twinkle your toes in the ice cold Sound, and bare witness to a classic Seattle portrait. Take a moment to Snapchat the moment and let the non-Seattle world know that, yes, this city does indeed have it all.
—Mason Bryan

Laser Light Show

Various Times | Laser Dome, Pacific Science Center
It’s time for you to experience music in a whole new light. At 80 feet in diameter and with 15,000 watts of digital sound, the Laser Dome at Pacific Science Center will stun you with brilliant laser imagery performed live along with your favorite tunes. They have a variety of shows to choose from every day, so whether you’re into The Beatles, Daft Punk, Pink Floyd, or Michael Jackson it is guaranteed that you will listen to—and see—your favorite artists like never before.
—Melissa Lin

Fremont Solstice Fair

Downtown Fremont | June 19-21 | All Day
If it’s the longest day of the year, you might as well make it a good one. Spend your 16 hours of daylight (per day!) at the Fremont Solstice Fair soaking up arts and crafts, live music, and even a Dog Parade. Yes, a Dog Parade. And if canines aren’t your thing, fear not: the festival also features a Solstice Parade and a Naked Bike Parade. For those of you otherwise opposed to parades, the weekend-long celebration also includes yoga, art car shows, and genuinely happy summer vibes.
—Maggie Molloy

Seattle Hoops Pro-Am

June and August | SPU’s Royal Brougham Pavilion
If you love basketball and live in Seattle but haven’t attended the Seattle Basketball Pro-Am, something is wrong. Over the summer, several of the Emerald City’s local NBA players descend upon SPU to ball out on some of the best players in the north west. What’s your preference? Jamal Crawford shakin’ n’ bakin’ cashing pull up 3’s, or NBA dunk contest champion Zach Levine flushing tomahawks. The Seattle Pro-Am has it all for 5 bucks at SPU’s cozy gym.
—Connor Cartmill

Seattle Street Food Festival

South Lake Union | August 15–16 | Time TBD
Seattle’s food truck fest has relocated from Cal Anderson Park to South Lake Union, and they’re expecting their biggest bash yet. Vendor applications are still being accepted, so keep checking in at seattlestfoodfest.com to see what culinary delights will await at this year’s festival.
—Caroline Ferguson

Bianca may be reached at [email protected]