Mariners Fall To Baltimore But Net Bluejays

After splitting the series with Boston last weekend, the Mariners took their talents on the road for a nine-game stretch against Baltimore, Toronto and Tampa Bay.

The trip got off to a rocky start, with the Mariners losing 9-4 to the Baltimore Orioles in game one of the series. Taijuan Walker struggled on the mound again, lasting just 3.2 innings and giving up four runs on seven hits with four walks.

The Mariners were able to get back on track during game two thanks to a strong performance from left-handed pitcher Roenis Elias. Elias completed 7.2 innings, allowing just one earned run on six hits.

Mike Zunino put the first run on the board off of a screaming line drive to center field, scoring Justin Ruggiano in the second inning. Ruggiano would blast a two-run homer two innings later and the Mariners would go on to win by a final score of 4-1.

Veteran lefty J.A. Happ got the start for the series finale. Happ started strong, recording two outs during the first three batters he faced. A single by clean-up hitter Delmon Young and a walk from Chris Davis would load the bases. Steve Pearce would clear the bases for the Orioles, giving them an early 4-0 lead. Happ would pitch the second inning, but a two-hour rain delay would end his day early.

The Mariners would threaten to take the lead in the seventh inning. Trailing 4-3, Seattle found themselves with the bases loaded with nobody out. Brad Miller, Robinson Cano and Nelson Cruz would all single. The tying run of the inning came off a Logan Morrison walk, and the Mariners would eventually end the inning with the bases loaded. Danny Farquhar would allow one run to score as the Mariners lost the final game of the series 5-4. Seattle ended the game hitting just 3-for-15 with runners in scoring position and left a total of 13 runners on base.

From Baltimore, the M’s went to Toronto for another three game series. Felix would deliver another gem, allowing just one run with eight strikeouts through seven innings. Fernando Rodney gave up a two run homer run in the bottom of the ninth, but would hold on to record his eleventh save of the season. Seattle wins 4-3. Felix moved to 7-1 on the season and moved into 70th place on the all time strikeout list with 2,014 career k’s.

James Paxton had a strong outing of his own, allowing just two runs in six innings of work. Paxton picked up his third win of the season with the help of a Kyle Seager home run and a Willie Bloomquist two RBI double.

Game three featured another Taijuan Walker stinker, giving up four runs in five and two thirds innings. Danny Farquhar delivered another poor performance as well, allowing three runs of his in just two-thirds innings of work.

The Mariners wrap up this road trip against Tampa Bay and enter with a 3-3 record so far during this trip. The M’s will return home Thursday, May 28, and host the Cleveland Indians, followed by the New York Yankees lone trip to Seattle this year. The M’s will finally get a day off on June 4, wrapping up a stretch of 16 straight games.