Time Out Sessions With Alexus Song

Audrey Mallinak • The Spectator

Sophomore Alexus Song finished her second year of golf at Seattle University strong as the top performer in each of the last three tournaments. Song also ended in a tie for fourth place at the WAC championships and earned Second Team-All WAC honors for her accomplishments.

“Conference went pretty well,” Song said. “I think it was the best tournament that I have played in the last two years combined.”

Song hails from Bonney Lake, Wash. and began playing golf when she was about 13 years old after her parents introduced her to the sport. It took a while until she finally settled into the game.

Audrey Mallinak • The Spectator
Audrey Mallinak • The Spectator

“When I was younger I actually hated golf,” Song said. “My parents kind of forced me to do it and I didn’t really like it until my first year of college.”

Playing golf at Seattle U was an easy choice for Song. In fact, it was the only university that she applied to because she wanted to attend a private school with small class sizes that was also close to home. It was a perfect fit. But, like any student, it took some time to adjust to college life.

“I am an only child so it was a shock to go from being protected by my parents all of the time to coming to college,” Song said. “Even with how small it is here, it is a very different environment.”

When she is not out on the course, Song is studying both sociology and business. With two years left to go until graduation, the future is still a little up in the air.

“At the moment I’m not sure at all what I want to do,” Song said. “I was thinking of maybe going to Korea and teaching golf but I’m not sure.”

In the meantime, Song will continue to focus on golf and her studies as she looks for even more improvement over her next two years.