Sounders Fall To Columbus Despite Dempsey’s Brace

On the back of three successive wins, the most recent of which coming against league new comers New York City FC at Yankee Stadium, the Seattle Sounders dropped a 3-2 contest against Columbus Crew on Saturday.

The partnership of Obafemi Martins and Clint Dempsey has proven to be the Sounders biggest weapon early in the season with the two combining for 11 goals in the teams first eight games. The two combined for some opportunities, but it was not enough as the Crew came out on top in an action-packed-game in Ohio.

Kia Kamara started the scoring off early, beating Chad Marshal to the ball and heading past Stefan Frei in the tenth minute. It did not take long for the Sounders to hit back through a great individual effort from Dempsey. The Texan picked the ball up just outside of the Crew penalty box and curled it off of the far post past a sprawling Steve Clark. The score remained the same until half, with both teams creating several openings but neither were
able to capitalize.

The second half began much like the first, with the Crew getting a goal early, this time through the Argentine, Federico Higuain. The Columbus forward slipped the ball past Frei after dribbling past several Sounders defenders. It did not take long for the Crew to find a third goal, with Kamara getting his second of the match after a good team move.

The Crew looked to be running away with the game, creating several chances that required great saves from Frei. But it did not end as comfortably they would have liked after a controversial goal from Dempsey in the 75th minute, which appeared to be offsides. The score stood despite arguments from the Crew players and coaching staff. The goal caused a shift in the momentum, seeing the team from the Emerald City dominating the possession in the late stages of the game. Despite added pressure, the Crew defense stood strong and saw the game through to collect their first ever home win against the Sounders.

The result saw the Crew stay in third position in the Eastern Conference. The Sounders continue their away game streak as they visit the Vancouver Whitecaps on May 16 as they hope to go 2-0 against the regional competition.