Getting Buckets and Fighting Cancer

Jessie Koon
    Jessie Koon • The Spectator
    Jessie Koon • The Spectator
    Jessie Koon • The Spectator

Free-throws, pies to the face, cheering and charity.  The scene last Wednesday night at the Seattle University Swishes for Wishes basketball game was
    one to remember.

With plenty of skilled shots from both the faculty and student teams– many came from far outside the three-point line–the game kept  fans cheering and donating.
    Although the students maintained a slight lead for the majority of the game, the faculty managed to gain advantage in the last minute-and-a-half, ultimately winning 44-43. Faculty now hold a five year reign over the game.

Students also enjoyed performances by the Seattle U Drumline, Seattle U Cheer Team, as well as the privilege of seeing Athletic Director Bill Hogan get a pie to the face for charity. Hogan’s date with the pie of fate was ultimately decided by the student fan’s donations to his jar in a competition to raise funds.

Jessie Koon • The Spectator
    Jessie Koon • The Spectator

Swishes for Wishes, an event where Athletes get to play against the rest of Seattle University student body.

Another candidate for the pie-ing, Student Body President Eric Sype, helmed the student team, with Redzone President Javier Carregha, who served as his assistant.
    “It is fun to see faculty and staff in a little bit of a different role” said Sype.

Involvement in the experience ranged for all participants with many returning spectators and athletes. Previous student player Carlee Norquist has had the pleasure of playing on both the student and faculty sides, with this being her second year on the latter. Regardless of team affiliation, her motivation remains constant.

“It’s a great event supporting a great cause” Norquist said following the faculty win.

Jessie Koon • The Spectator
    Jessie Koon • The Spectator

Red Zone President Javier Carregha and SGSU President Eric Sype (left to right).

Despite the competitive and exciting atmosphere no one lost sight of the cause for the event: the Make-a-Wish Foundation. Donations were received before and throughout the game while baked goods were sold in the stands with all of the proceeds going to the charity. The experience was completed with a visit from one of the Make-a-Wish foundation recipient families who have attended the Swishes for Wishes event for several years running.

The event is put on by the NCAA’s Student Athlete Advisory Committee in union with Make a Wish Foundation, allowing for a fruitful charity experience. Bringing students and faculty together in competition for charity has produced ten years of contribution and fund-raising for Make-a-Wish Foundation. In past and coming years, the event will continue to inspire and assemble the charitable just as it has this year.

“When you’re at your darkest moment, the student athletes at Seattle University step up and make a difference in somebody’s life,” Hogan said. “That’s really something special.”

The editor can be reached at [email protected]