Local Bands Flock to Quadstock 2015

Birds are chirping, the sun is out, school is almost over for the summer. Every May, Student Events & Activities Council organizes one of the biggest events of the school year to celebrate all of this (and to give students a place to de-stress before finals week). Quadstock has been a Seattle University tradition for longer than the majority of undergraduates have been alive: 26 years. With this year’s theme of 2Q6—a play on the even’t 26th anniversary and Seattle’s zip code—Quadstock’s lineup was revealed on April 21.

Drum roll, please.

Beat Connection

This year’s headliner is Beat Connection, an up-and-coming Seattle indie-pop band. Currently featured on the cover of City Arts Magazine’s “Best New Music” spread, Beat Connection is a four-piece group known for their danceable beats and bouncy synths. They released their first EP, “Surf Noir,” in 2010 and their first album “The Palace Garden” in 2012. These hometown heroes are releasing their next album this summer. Who knows, maybe they will give us a sneak peak of some new songs at Quadstock?

Grieves

Grieves is the stage name for Chicago-born, Seattle-based hip-hop artist Benjamin Laub. His music is a unique synthesis of hip-hop and alt-soul, and his lyrics tackle poignant subjects like addiction, heartbreak and loss. He’s perhaps best known for his collaboration on a 2009 compilation album with Macklemore and Brooklyn-based rapper Budo titled “The Falling Off Your Shoes.” His most recent album “Winter & the Wolves” was released in 2014, and it peaked at number 57 on the Billboard 200.

Born Ruffians

Born Ruffians is the only band in the Quadstock lineup that is not based in Washington. Hailing from Ontario, Canada, Born Ruffians is a four-piece indie-rock band with a pop icing. They released their first album “The Makeshift Metric Catastrophe” (which was not a makeshift catastrophe, despite the title) independently in 2004. By the time their second album “Red, Yellow & Blue” was released in 2008, they were working with Warp Records and Paper Bag Records. Their most recent release was their fourth album “Birthmarks” in 2013, so they should be due for some new music in the near future.

Animals in the Attic

You may remember Animals in the Attic from their victory at last quarter’s Battle of the Bands—now they’re back in action playing the main stage at this year’s Quadstock. They perform synth-heavy space rock inspired by Pink Floyd, Youth Lagoon and MGMT. The band is composed of Spencer Rakela, Sharvil Gupta, Clayton LaFlamme and Geoffrey Luoma.

Dave B

Performing on the KXSU stage for this year’s Quadstock is Dave B, a Seattle-based independent hip-hop artist known for his laid-back style and his undeniably danceable grooves. He has worked with a number of other Seattle rappers—including Brothers from Another—and he’s also collaborated with San Francisco Bay-area rapper Justo for a compilation album titled “School Daze.”

Brothers from Another

Brothers from Another is a three-piece hip-hop group with two EPs out. Their first, “Tacos on Broadway,” was released in 2013. It features a song named after the infamous intersection a few blocks from campus, Pike & Broadway, and it also features a performance by another renowned Seattle rapper, Sol. Their most recent EP, “3 Peat,” was released back in January and features another Quadstock artist, Dave B, on the track “Windows Down.” Here’s hoping the two artists will perform the song together at this year’s show.

Gifted Gab

This Seattle-based hip-hop artist proudly calls herself the “First Lady of Moor Gang,” a local rap collective. Gifted Gab recently released her album “Girl Rap” in February.

Mind Vice

Mind Vice is a funk-infused rock band from the Seattle area. They recently released a new single “Consumer Nation,” a song critiquing our consumerist culture which features some of Stevie Ray Vaughan’s favorite musical accessories: the wah-wah pedal and a catchy chorus tune.

Fauna Shade

This Everett-based psychedelic pop band has performed all around Seattle, from small stages like Chop Suey to more distinguished venues like the EMP Museum. The crew recently released a new single titled “Marzipan,” with a debut full length record “Baton Rouge” soon to follow.

Siri may be reached at [email protected]