Baseball Drops First WAC Series of Season

Jessie Koon
    Jessie Koon • The Spectator

For the first time this season, Seattle University (21-18, 12-3 WAC) baseball lost a series in conference play. The University of North Dakota (UND; 14-18, 8-7 WAC) piled on the runs Sunday, scoring nine times on 13 hits.

Jessie Koon • The Spectator
    Jessie Koon • The Spectator

The Redhawks started the series strong, fending off a late UND rally to win game one with a final score of 4-2. Leading for much of the game, North Dakota evened the score in the top of the eighth inning at 2-2, but Seattle was able to answer scoring two more runs in the bottom half of the eighth.

Saturday was another tight contest, with UND narrowly edging SU at 3-2. Seattle struck first when catcher Jack Reisinger singled to left field. A sacrifice bunt moved Reisinger over to second base. Reisinger then stole third and scored after a throwing error on the UND catcher. North Dakota quickly leveled the score in the top of the fourth with an RBI double by first baseman Ryan Reese. North Dakota added another run in the top half of the fifth inning, with Seattle tying it on a sacrifice fly by sophomore third baseman Brock Carpenter in the bottom half of the sixth.

Jessie Koon • The Spectator
    Jessie Koon • The Spectator

Heading into the seventh inning with the score tied, North Dakota’s leadoff man was hit by a pitch, eventually scoring on an RBI single. Seattle U was able to get a runner into scoring position in the seventh inning, but was unable to drive him in.

Sunday was a different story. The Redhawks had the long ball working early. Senior catcher Brian Olson was able to drive a ball over the left field fence, narrowly staying fair, in the second inning.

Freshman pitcher Tyrik Skubal (3-4) struggled on the mound, allowing four runs on five hits in the top of the third inning.

“I thought Tarik was okay early and then the ball got elevated, and when it gets elevated it gets hit around the yard,” said Seattle U Head Coach Donny Harrell.

Seattle answered with another solo homer in the bottom of the third inning, this time coming off the bat of right fielder Dalton Hurd. Unfortunately, Seattle U would fail to score for the remainder of the game.

“We just couldn’t string enough hits together,” Harrell said.

North Dakota stayed aggressive at the plate and tacked on five more runs over the course of the game.

“They were a lot more aggressive than we were, and it showed up in that four run inning as far as them hitting balls all around the park,” Harrell said.

Seattle University will host the Washington Huskies Tuesday at Bannerwood Park. First pitch is scheduled for 5 pm.

The editor may be reached at [email protected]