Time Out Sessions: Marina Osuna

Audrey Mallinak
    Audrey Mallinak • The Spectator

CONVERSATIONS WITH SU ATHLETES
    Featuring Marina Osuna

Rowing has been an integral part of Marina’s college life, but it almost
    never happened.

“I remember getting the email about it and thinking it would be kind of fun and I was excited to do it but then when I got here I ended up not doing it,” Osuna said. “I kicked myself for not doing it so I started during the winter quarter and I haven’t regretted it since.”

Audrey Mallinak • The Spectator
    Audrey Mallinak • The Spectator

The rowing team has competed in six different races throughout the year so far and is looking forward to the WIRA competitions that take place near the end of April. Last year, the team placed fifth in the grand final.

“This year it is a big goal to make it back into the grands and have a stronger representation,” Osuna said. “First or second would be awesome and we ultimately want to place but I think the goal right now is to just cut off on our time and get another close race.”

The junior marketing major played other sports in middle school and high school such as track and basketball but none of them have been quite like competing in rowing.

“Rowing itself is one of the most cardiovascular sports and it is tough on your body and it hurts a lot,” Osuna said. “You just have to remember to push no matter what. It is hard, but really rewarding.”

When she is not out competing in the boat, Osuna is looking to gain experience that will help her get into the field of consumer development or possibly advertising. She has an internship with Kimberly Clark this summer and is also hoping to travel for a bit after she graduates.