Time Out Sessions W/ Brian Olson

Photo courtesy of Seattle University Athletics

Senior Brian Olson has been playing baseball for almost his entire life.
    “My dad introduced it to me at a very young age,” Olson said. “I played every year growing up all the way until now.”

Olson grew up in Black Diamond, Washington, which is only about 30 minutes south of Seattle U’s campus. In high school he was spread out all over the field playing shortstop, third base and pitcher before finally settling into his role as a catcher late into his high school career. Now, Olson is the starting catcher for Seattle University’s baseball team and has put up some pretty impressive stats. Last season, he started in all 53 games, posted a .320 batting average and led the team with 47 RBIs.

“I remember I was looking at a lot of different schools and Seattle U wasn’t even on my radar for a while,” Olson said. “I think what really sold me was the coaching staff at Seattle U and how invested they were into me, coming out to my games and showing me support.”

Playing in Seattle also gives Olson the opportunity to compete close to his family.

Last year, the baseball team lost in the first round of the WAC tournament and they are looking to improve this year.

“This season I obviously want to win the WAC championship,” Olson said. “I think we have a really good squad and it would be great to move on.”
    Outside of baseball, Olson is a communications major, but is hoping for the chance to keep playing baseball after graduation. Otherwise he may go on to work for his dad’s electrical company.

“I want to stick with baseball for sure,” Olson said. “I am hoping for the opportunity to play professionally, but I know that that is not really up to me.”