This Week In Sports News

BRANDON BOSTICK
Remember that crazy NFC championship game last month when the Seahawks overcame improbable odds to defeat the Green Bay Packers? Remember how Seattle managed to recover an onside kick late in the fourth quarter because one of Green Bay’s players decided to go for the ball instead of block? Well, that player has officially been released by the Packers. TE Brandon Bostick was the scapegoat of Green Bay’s unfathomable loss and is now without a job for the time being.

PEYTON MANNING
As with the end to every NFL season, there are plenty of questions swirling around about which players will retire and which players will be wearing different jerseys next season. One of the biggest question marks concerns future Hall-of-Fame quarterback Peyton Manning of the Denver Broncos. After losing in the Super Bowl a year ago, the Broncos only managed to make it to the divisional round of the playoffs this year despite making significant improvements to their defense. Manning began to struggle at the end of the year and many are wondering what his plans are for next season. He has expressed that he wants to return for another year if his body will allow it. Will he get one last shot at another Super Bowl?

NBA ALL STAR WEEKEND
This past weekend, the superstars of the NBA came together and competed in the annual three point and slam dunk contests before playing the All-Star Game.

None other than Steph Curry won the three point shootout. The Golden State Warriors point guard currently owns the record for the most three point field goals made in a season when he scored 272 of them in the 2012-2013 season.

The slam dunk contest didn’t really feature any big name players, but it certainly featured some big time dunks. Zach LaVine, a 19 year old rookie guard for the Minnesota Timberwolves stole the show by getting perfect scores on two of his four dunks. He also made a nice tribute to the great Michael Jordan by wearing his jersey from Space Jam. The All-Star game itself was a very high-scoring affair as the West defeated the East 163-158. Russell Westbrook of the Oklahoma City Thunder scored 41 points in the game and was named the game’s MVP.

In the Celebrity All-Star game that took place beforehand, comedian Kevin Hart managed to win the game MVP award for the fourth consecutive year. Go figure.

GREG HARDY UNDER FIRE FOR ABUSE
It was a rough year for the NFL when it came to incidents that happened off the field. Early in the season, Ray Rice was charged with domestic abuse when a video was released of the running back knocking out his then-fiancée in an elevator. Commissioner Roger Goodell originally only suspended Rice for two games and the public was outraged by the soft punishment.

Since then, the NFL has fought hard to protect its public image by pushing its No More campaign to help stop domestic violence. Unfortunately, domestic violence has once again made its way into the NFL as Panthers Defensive End Greg Hardy has been charged with physically abusing his ex-girlfriend. The NFL has committed itself to making a more thorough investigation this time around and it will be interesting to see what kind of punishment Hardy receives. His teammates are hoping that he will be given another chance.

PACQUIAO & MAYWEATHER
Arguably two of the best boxers in the world are getting closer and closer to finally having their epic showdown. Manny Pacquiao and undefeated Floyd Mayweather have been working out negotiations for a proposed fight and it may be happening soon. It was reported that as much as $250 million could be at stake during the much-anticipated fight.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
After losing the Super Bowl in a very close game to the Patriots, the Seattle Seahawks are looking toward next season. They even have a nice new motto: “Greater is Coming”. A few things to look out for in the coming months will be whether or not Marshawn Lynch decides to retire, what kind of contract is given to Russell Wilson, and what additions and subtractions the team will experience during free agency and the draft.

MARINERS AWAIT BASEBALL SEASON
Baseball season is almost here, as spring training is almost underway. Last season, the Mariners were just one game away from making the playoffs with an 87-75 record. This year, they have been highly regarded as playoff contenders and will be looking to make that push into the postseason for the first time since 2001. The team still has superstars Felix Hernandez and Robinson Cano to go along with emerging stars like Kyle Seager. In order to try and improve the team, the Mariners have added on last season’s homerun leader, Nelson Cruz, along with outfielders Seth Smith and Justin Ruggiano. This week they also signed the veteran Rickie Weeks who has played the last 11 seasons for the Milwaukee Brewers and will be looking for a chance to get some playing time.