Music Notes: Movember Music Inspiration

November is a time of crisp air, colorful leaves, ripe harvest, and, oh yeah,
hairy men.

For years, pubescent boys and grown men alike have celebrated No-Shave November—and, more recently, Movember—as a way of raising awareness and funds for men’s health issues. And so, in honor of this hairy holiday, I have compiled a list of five musicians with rocking facial hair. Consider it musical inspiration for this shaggy season.

Eugene Hütz of Gogol Bordello

Aside from being the flashy frontman of the groovy gypsy-punk band Gogol Bordello, in his spare time Eugene cultivates one killer stache. Even if you can’t get down with Gogol Bordello’s catchy folk riffs and cross-culturally influenced tunes, you can at least appreciate Eugene’s perfectly groomed, charmingly swirly moustache.

Eric Nally and Sky White of Foxy Shazam

The only thing funkier than Foxy Shazam’s glam rock riffs and over-the-top lyrics is probably their band members’ facial hair. Vocalist Eric Nally sports a trademark curly-moustache-and-soul-patch power combo while keyboardist Sky White dons what could likely be the gnarliest beard any classically-trained pianist has ever grown. The band is currently on hiatus, but here’s hoping they return to the stage soon with more theatrical tunes and even longer facial hair.

Curtis Rx of Creature Feature

Creature Feature is an electro-punk power duo who celebrates Halloween all year round with spooky tunes and a vaudevillian aesthetic. In keeping with their creepy carnival theme and Poe-inspired lyrics, the duo’s singer and guitarist Curtis Rx has a pair of mutton chops which could rival that of any 19th century gravedigger.

Every Member of Larry and His Flask

It’s almost as if each member in Larry and His Flask is perpetually competing in a gnarliest beards contest. Seriously, it’s pretty remarkable that everyone in the band can maintain a beard as wild and energetic as the group’s punk-bluegrass sound. As folk musicians they really emphasize all things natural: acoustic instruments, organic live shows, and ungroomed facial hair.

Ben Caplan of Ben Caplan and the Casual Smokers

Ben Caplan’s rugged and raspy vocals are matched only by his rebellious red beard. His poetic lyrics and sultry folk melodies make for a truly passionate singer-songwriter sound, and his bluesy, burly acoustic songs have surprising depth. Don’t worry though, his music is still accessible enough that you can zone out and appreciate his beard every once in a while without getting too lost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iODL5wvZbns