Women’s Crew Shows Promise at Montlake

Jessie Koon
    Jessie Koon • The spectator

The women’s crew team finished their fall season strong Sunday morning at the Head of the Lake regatta on Montlake Cut, which connects Lake Washington to the Puget Sound. The races began near the Ship Canal Bridge and ended in Union Bay.

“I am very pleased with the past few weeks of training leading up to today’s races,” said Head Coach Jenny Park. “The team really came together at practice, [and are] very focused and dedicated to having great fall races.”

Both women’s varsity 8 and varsity 4 boats finished near the middle of their races. The 8 boat comprised of Brook McColloch as coxin; Kailyn Zimmer, Rachel Wong, Mariana Osuna, Kelsey Hopkins, Jill Nakaso, Olivia Smith, Meghan Ricci, and Mackenzie Nicholson finished 6th in the three mile race with a time of 20:07.50. They defeated a boat from Western Washington University, as well as Vancouver.

The 4 boat with coxswain Liesl Bower-Jerniga; Alanna Manley, Jennifer Cruz, Rebecca Ravitz, and Shelby Johnson finished fourth at 23:47.78. Following them was Oregon, a Washington State men’s boat, Victoria City, and Portland State.

The University of Washington won both races and even took second as well in the 4 race. The SU novice 8 boat finished 10th place in their race with a time of 23:24.99.

“We had tough competition today, but the girls handled themselves very well and all three boats had great races,” Park said.

Previously, women’s crew had competed in the American Lake Fall Classic in Lakewood, Wash. and the Portland Fall Classic in Portland, Ore. Their practices began later than most other schools because Seattle U doesn’t begin its school year until nearly a month after many universities. The late start forces the team to play catch-up during the fall.

“That month makes a difference this early on,” Park said. “It is great to get out and see our competition in the fall, but our main focus from day one is spring season.”

Spring season will open up on March 14 in Vancouver, Wash. in a duel with their rivals, the University of Portland.

“Overall I’m real happy with how things panned out for the fall season,” Park said. “We have a strong group of committed girls. I am so excited to start winter training, and to see their success this year.”

Connor may be reached at [email protected]