School Shooting Strikes Marysville, WA

Tragedy struck Marysville on the morning of Oct. 24 when four people died and two others were injured by gunshots at Marysville-Pilchuck High School.

Student Zoe Galasso, 14, died at the scene, and students Gia Soriano and Shaylee Chuckulnaskit, both 14, died from their wounds at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett.

Andrew Fryberg, 15, and Nate Hatch, 14, cousins of the shooter, were injured from the gunshots and taken to Harborview Medical Center. Hatch is in satisfactory condition, but Fryberg remains in critical condition.

The last victim was the shooter, Jaylen Fryberg. Fryberg was a freshman. He played football, was a member of the Tulalip Tribe, and had recently been crowned homecoming prince.

On the morning of the shooting, Fryberg sent a text to his friends telling them to meet in the cafeteria. He fired at them before turning the gun on himself. He had firearm experience and was rumored he was having relationship troubles. Two of the people he targeted were his family and all were reportedly friends of the shooter. No one is sure why Fryberg did what he did, only that this shooting is a tremendous loss for the community.

Seattle University jesuit Father Patrick Twohy, S.J. has worked with the Tulalip Tribe before, and released this email statement to the Spectator regarding the recent tragedy:
    “The Tulalip People are no stranger to loss and sorrow,” wrote Twohy in a statement to the Spectator. “When someone dies among the People, we all die. Since this tragedy the Tulalip People have gathered continually around the grieving families with great understanding, respect, and caring kindness, all in an effort to protect and surround them with a blanket of love. This is the Way of the People.”

The Marysville tragedy is part of a trend of school shootings across the country. The larger Seattle community is currently grieving for the victims of the Marysville shooting, but just last spring, Seattle Pacific University experienced its own loss where an unaffiliated shooter unleashed gunfire upon the school, resulting in the death of freshman Paul Lee.

As the grief process is long, difficult, and painfully partial to the Seattle area this year, there are many resources on campus for students struggling with loss.

The Health and Wellness Crew is a peer-to-peer resource at Seattle U working to address various arenas of student health, including mental and emotional well-being. Peer Health Educator Kara Ortbal stressed the importance of reaching out during periods of crisis.

“To just connect with someone is just so important,” Ortbal said. “It’s important to not isolate in that situation and to have a conversation with someone. That could be, if you live on campus, your [Resident Assistant], [it] could be someone in housing, your roommate, friends, someone like that.”

Ortbal said that Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) is the best resource to reach out to for mental health concerns. CAPS is comprised of licensed psychologists and is one of three confidential resources on campus, which also include the Student Health Center and Campus Ministry.

In light of the recent tragedy, CAPS director Kimberly Caluza, Psy. D. released this statement on behalf of CAPS to the Spectator.

“For students who are seeking supportive counseling due to the recent tragedy in Marysville, the most efficient way to access CAPS would be to utilize an urgent care appointment,” Caluza said. “Urgent care is offered twice per day, Monday through Friday at 10am and 3pm. Utilizing an urgent care appointment to address the experience of a sudden, unexpected and traumatic incident is a very appropriate thing to do. Some students may feel more comfortable speaking with peers, student leaders (RA’s or OA’s), resident ministers or Campus Ministry staff. SU has a number of resources in the campus community that can provide support during difficult times.”

Ortbal also recommended keeping Public Safety in mind as an available resource.

“They have training in pretty much any given situation,” Ortbal said. “They’re not just for patrolling the area and whatnot—they can help in lots and lots of different ways.”

The Marysville community held vigils and masses in solidarity with the victims and their families. The Facebook pages of the victims are filled with tributes from friends and loved ones that demonstrate the impact that these lives have left on the Marysville community.

The high school was closed for a week but reopened on Monday.

Lena can be reached at [email protected]