Editorial: Snap Out of it, Hackers

First J-Law, then Emma Watson gets threatened, and now more than 100,000 nude photos—including ones of minors—will be leaked on the internet through a third party app that saves Snapchats.

This is just one reason I don’t trust technology. I am that person who does not save passwords or sync photos to some cloud thing because I do not understand the concept of having my information (no matter how insignificant) floating around somewhere that can store everything for who knows how long. But that is beside the point.

The thing is, people do trust technology. And that is totally fine. Just because I don’t, I don’t blame people who do or did. In fact, I don’t blame the SnapChat victims for taking nudes of themselves.

Others can repeat the worn-out comments that it’s their fault for taking nude photos or say they asked for it—both of which I disagree with. I mean, what a concept right, that things shared between two people in private should be kept between them. Whether it’s nudes, conversations or whatever else that is meant to be shared only between the intended and consenting parties, I would be royally ticked if someone invaded my privacy.

I will even go as far as to say that nude photos are okay (assuming that no one is getting hurt, it is okay with the parties involved, and this is not some sick scheme like child pornography). Naked photos can be empowering and powerful, if the person in the photo has control over what happens to that photo. Trespassing on someone’s privacy? Not okay.
    That is why I think we should stop blaming the victims, and instead get angry at those who violate and exploit our privacy.

Bianca Sewake, Managing Editor & Online Content Editor