Editorial: Strides for Equality

It isn’t often that the Supreme Court’s refusal to hear a case makes national news. But on Monday when the nation’s highest court passed up the opportunity to make a ruling on whether same-sex marriage bans are constitutional, that’s exactly what happened. The news flooded social media and dominated front-page headlines the next day.

The court’s decision means that the number of states allowing same-sex marriage has ballooned from 19 to effectively 30. More states are expected to join these ranks in the coming weeks.

It’s true that the nine justices have not ruled on the constitutionality of same-sex marriage nationwide, but their Monday decision set the precedent that arguments against same-sex marriage are not worthy of the Supreme Court’s consideration. The court’s ruling is perhaps one of the most important moments in the history of LBGTQ rights in the United States. The Supreme Court is leaving it up to the states to decide whether or not same-sex marriage should be legal, and most states are saying yes. With polls showing that the majority of Americans are in support of same-sex marriage, it seems to be only a matter of time before same-sex marriage is legal in every state of the country.

The events this week are important strides for the LGBTQ movement, but it is only the first of many steps to a more equitable system. Even at Seattle University, which is far ahead of other private Catholic institutions in terms of protection and promotion of LBGTQ rights, there is still work to be done, primarily with regard to gender inclusion.

The Supreme Court’s ruling should be celebrated as a major milestone for LBGTQ rights, but the triumph of legalized same-sex marriage should be a jumping-off point to further progress.