Crimes Near Seattle U

Five robberies, including two carjackings, took place near Seattle University’s campus over the course of the week. At least two of the crimes may be related, police reports said.

Just before 9 p.m., three male teenagers carjacked a man in the Central District, just blocks south of Seattle U. One suspect pointed a semi-automatic handgun at the victim, who was not physically harmed. His car and wallet were stolen.

On Thursday, around 12:30 a.m., a second carjacking occurred on 10th Avenue and Seneca near the IHOP across the street from campus. The victim was pistol-whipped. His wallet and phone were stolen, and the suspects fled in his car. The Seattle Police Department said that the perpetrators may be the same suspects from the Central District incident.

Three other robberies took place Thursday night on Capitol Hill.

The incidents may be tied to an upward trend in crime on First Hill, which saw the highest rates of reported robberies ever in August. The surge led Police Chief Kathleen O’Toole to ramp up policing in the Pike/Pine/Broadway corridor earlier this month.

The following advice was posted on the SPD Blotter:

“As detectives search for these suspects, please remember to be aware of your surroundings, trust your instincts, update your smartphone’s software to allow you to lock it down or track it if it’s stolen, and always call 911 if you see anything suspicious.”