The Mouthful: April Recipe Roundup

The most common complaint I’ve heard from those who don’t cook is that they don’t have the energy to look for recipes. That’s why I’ve done the work for you by finding easy recipes around the web that use seasonal ingredients and are endlessly adaptable.

Bacon and leek quiche from Williams-Sonoma
    Via Williams-Sonoma
    Via Williams-Sonoma

I’m not sure when quiche became the unofficial food of Easter, but I’m not complaining. I love that this one has a lower filling-to-crust ratio, which makes it much easier to control the cooking process. Leeks are in season right now, but you could easily swap out the ingredients when summer vegetables are at the market.

Vidalia onion soup with wild rice from Smitten Kitchen
    Via Smitten Kitchen
    Via Smitten Kitchen

This (also seasonal) onion soup is my absolute favorite thing to make when I’m feeling a little strapped for cash. Ingredients are few and cheap, and it’s great for leftovers. Sometimes I add some chopped crimini mushrooms in the last few minutes of cooking the onions.

Hot cross buns from The Pioneer Woman
    Via The Pioneer Woman
    Via The Pioneer Woman

Hot cross buns remind me of childhood and Sunday school and all manner of good things (and that irritating piano ditty, but I digress). These ones are traditional through and through, studded with raisins and topped with a glaze that’s just this side of cloying (but in a good way, somehow).

Lavender honey sidecar from Set The Table
    Via Set The Table
    Via Set The Table

Mimosas are traditional this time of year, but I’m digging this cocktail laced with lavender and honey. The floral flavor notes are just perfect for spring and the delicate sugar rim is positively pretty.

Carrot cake with chèvre frosting
    Via My Recipes
    Via My Recipes

Cream cheese frosting is traditional on carrot cake, but chevre sounds like a welcome twist. This would make amazing cupcakes.