Hedreen to Feature Female Artists in Panel

Feminism is alive and well in the Seattle art community. This year’s Seattle Women’s Convention will help to prove this fact with events such as “Female Artists aka Artists” taking place at Hedreen Gallery on Jan. 23.

Last year, the convention focused on the influence of women on the field of art. One exhibition titled “Elles: Women Artists from the Centre Pompidou, Paris” featured more than 130 artworks by over 75 women artists; the artwork presented was mainly from 1907 to 2007. The exhibition, which was hosted by the Seattle Art Museum, featured a collection of paintings, sculptures, videos, drawings and photos by female artists; the museum’s ads for the exhibition declared “Women are taking over!”

“Elles,” which garnered praise from the surrounding art community, led to a series of heartfelt discussions about feminism. Artists from all over the country joined in and there was a great deal of conversation about female artists following this exhibition. Discussions focused primarily on the subjects of female artists’ contribution to art, the still-present gender disparity and what needs to be done in the future.

A year after the Elles exhibition, the convention is back to figure out if any changes have taken place in terms of feminist credibility in art. This year, local artist Joey Veltkamp will host discussions about issues such as fair representation and equality for female artists. He will be joined by other notable artists on Jan. 23 such as Jen Graves, Susie J. Lee and Susanna Bluhm, all of whom are affiliated with the Seattle art community.

The panelists will try to answer key questions like how often the works of women artists are recognized in the Seattle art community and how each artist experiences public recognition.

“One year after Elles, I don’t think much has happened specifically as a result of the exhibition, but there is generally more awareness of gender iniquities in social media clamor,” said Lee in an email.

Lee, an award-winning artist, will preview her upcoming project “Siren” at the event. Lee received her M.F.A. from the University of Washington in 2006 and has since had her artwork showcased around the world.

Bluhm, an award-winning artist from California, hopes “this discussion will lead to a greater understanding of the issues surrounding female artists.”

The discussion will be open to all. Bluhm pointed out that the intended audience is the Seattle art community, but anyone with any ideas about gender is welcome to participate.

Graves, The Stranger’s visual arts writer, said that the discussion is “less about targeting an audience mainly, and more about inviting an audience.”

Graves feels that people discuss these topics already, but an event like “Female Artists aka Artists” will give them an opportunity to share their ideas with the public.

Lee stated that meaningful change happens when the majority understands and wants change.

“It is thrilling to watch, like the dominoes falling, the number of states that are allowing gay marriage. It would be great to see this type of energy extended for women and minority rights [in an event like this],” Lee said.

The event will take place at the Hedreen Gallery in the Lee Center for the Arts on Jan. 23, beginning at 6 p.m. It is open to the public.