Bows Before Bros: Time for a Wardrobe Check-Up

Raise your hand if you ever had a wardrobe meltdown of claiming there is nothing to wear despite looking at a closet full of clothes.

I’m currently raising my hand.

We all have been guilty of this at some point. This used to happen a lot in my early teen years, especially after the holidays when my closet would get a sudden influx of clothing. Although my closet was stuffed, there were really only 11 pieces that I truly loved to wear all the time.

Maybe you received or bought a lot of clothing over the break and towards the end of 2013. Maybe you didn’t. Whether you did or didn’t, it’s always good to do a check-up with your closet every now and then. At the very least, I do one about every three months.

By check-up, I mean: delve into your closet, sift through your clothing of what you wear or no longer do, find all the forgotten articles and figure out what stays and what you will get rid of. (I say, if you haven’t worn it in the past three months, you probably will not wear it unless it’s your long lost favorite pair of jeans, so put it in the give away pile). Then re-organize your closet neatly so you can see all that you have easily.

You will be surprised at what you find in your closet and just how much clothing you really have. Having an easily accessible and organized closet even boosts my mood somehow, making me feel like I have my life together just that much more. Hopefully you feel the same way after doing a wardrobe check-up.

After neatly hanging up your last piece of clothing in your newly organized closet, now there’s the problem of, “What do I do with all the clothing rejects?”

Well, there are several things you can do:

1. Donate
This would be my go-to solution in my teen years and I would rotate which places I would donate. Just make sure that the clothing is still in a decent and wearable condition because someone who uses it will appreciate that.

2. Sell it!
If you want to get rid of all the clothing you don’t wear while making some extra cash, try selling your clothing at a local thrift shop. Do be aware that some places will be picky on what they buy. Be sure that what you’re selling matches the current season. You won’t be able to sell sleeveless summer dresses during winter.

3. Clothing swap
Get all your roommates together or call up your friends to do a wardrobe check-up and do a clothing swap with each other. It’s a fun way to recycle clothing. Whatever is left over can be donated or sold.

Added bonus of wardrobe check-up: More room for all the new things you’ll get in 2014.

Cheers to another year of fierceness in fashion and life.