Balls Out: Revised Workout Plan for the Non-Masochists

Because I received some comments regarding the realistic nature of my workout plan, “Gym Closures and Dark, Windy Workouts,” I decided I would craft a workout that is more feasible for the average gym goer. Running cross country has clearly warped my perspective on what a normal workout might be, considering the masochistic nature of my sport. Additionally–as opposed to a quick workout that works the general body—I will add more specific exercises.

Jump Rope

I read somewhere once that jump roping is one of the most effective form of cardiovascular exercise. Following that comment the author of the article boldly claimed that ten minutes of the activity was the comparable to thirty minutes of running. Dubious to the accuracy of this bold claim, I picked up a jump rope and went for it. Indeed, it was hard. Really hard. So, for a good way to warm up the majority of your muscle groups–while simultaneously getting your cardio in—ALL without having to commit to thirty minutes of tedious activity without even having to wear shoes, pick up a jump rope and pump out ten minutes.

Squats

Surprisingly enough, in my personal experience, jumping rope does a sufficient job of thoroughly exhausting ones arms. So, to give your biceps a break, the next portion of the workout will be legs. Squats are a great way to work out your quads without realizing anything is even happening. Upon waking up the following morning, though, it will be a different story. Start this workout with doing 50 total, breaking them up with lunges in between. For the squats, keep your knees at shoulder width apart, not letting your knees bend over your toes as they bend and your heels planted firmly on the ground. If 50 sounds too lofty and this is the first time you have exerted these muscles in a considerable amount of time, maybe just begin with 25. No problem.

Push-Ups

Next, I maintain my statement from the original workout plan that working muscles can be sufficiently completely with one’s own body weight. However, I realize that for a non-regular pusher-upper 100 push-ups is quite the number. Therefore, let’s drop it to 50 and there is no shame in dropping your knees to the floor for the “girl” push-up style—especially if this is the first time in a while. Burpees are still my exercise of choice, in that they are excruciating and effective. But, again, drop the final count to 25 and build up as you get more comfortable with the regimen.

Lastly, what I believe to be a reasonable core routine for a beginning gym-goer can be found in the article.

I hope this is an acceptable and realistic routine for those hoping to get a solid workout in on those days when the gym is inaccessible.