Critic’s Corner: Eight Scary Movie Re-Enactments That Will Liven Up October

Sometimes, life just doesn’t seem scary enough. This Halloween, spice up your fall by re-enacting these pivotal—and harmless—scenes from famous horror movies:

8. Run through a corn field with a leaf blower
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre •  New Line Cinema
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre • New Line Cinema

Look how happy he is.

Make like Leatherface and frolic in an empty field with a leaf blower. All you really need is a flannel, a pair of Levis and a friend with a car who can drive you to Snohomish. But be warned—the Seattle Police Department will probably stop you if you try to pull this stunt in the middle of the city, so I would advise against romping about Cal Anderson or the Union Green.

7. Go into the woods for a few days and film everything with a handheld camera
    Blair Witch Project • Haxan Films
    Blair Witch Project • Haxan Films

Find a campsite nearby, rent out some gear from OAR and escape into nature for a few relaxing days with a really crappy camera in hand—a Go-Pro would be even better. As we learned from “The Blair Witch Project,” absolutely nothing exciting needs to happen on this trip in order for your dizzying footage to freak people out—an unsteady cameraman is apparently terrifying enough.

6. Invite a demonologist into your home
    The Conjuring • Warner Bros.
    The Conjuring • Warner Bros.

Famous demonologists Ed and Lorraine Warren in “The Conjuring.”

Google the state’s best demonologists or ghost hunters and ask them to rid your filthy house or dorm room of malevolent spirits. Turns out, the head office of the Advanced Ghost Hunters of Seattle-Tacoma is actually in Pioneer Square, just 10 minutes away—we live in a great city.

5. Host a prom party and spill a vat of ketchup on someone’s head
    Carrie • United Artists
    Carrie • United Artists

If you’re running out of creative party themes, the prom party is a classic get-together that guests of all levels of inebriation can appreciate. This Halloween season, make it a “Carrie” prom party and welcome your lucky guests—preferably ones with senses of humor—by dumping buckets of ketchup over their heads. Don’t single out one particular guest though—you don’t want anyone to end up killing your friends telekinetically or, worse, crying in your stairwell all night.

4. Dress up like your mother and peer out of a second-floor window
    Psycho • Paramount Pictures
    Psycho • Paramount Pictures

Norman Bates knows the best Halloween costumes are the ones that hit closest to home. Steal some of your mom’s clothes and stare out your bedroom window at the passersby below for a couple hours this week—don’t take it any farther than that though or you’ll be called a peeping Tom before you know it.

3. Talk to your pointer finger
    The Shining • Warner Bros.
    The Shining • Warner Bros.

Between classes, take a break to chat with your pointer finger in a bathroom mirror. Name your finger whatever you please—Tony is already taken—and be sure to draw its face in red pen for authenticity’s sake. Creating a new finger friend will make your October a lot less lonely, that’s for sure.

2. Go to Whidby Island and scare all the horses
    The Ring • DreamWorks Pictures
    The Ring • DreamWorks Pictures

Sadly the Moesko Island described in “The Ring” is not a real place, but Whidby Island is probably close enough. Take the ferry and spend an afternoon scaring every horse you see—a “boo” would probably be enough. If you’re really gung-ho, wear a white artist’s smock, take off your shoes and refuse to tuck your wet, matted hair behind your ears—it’ll be harder to spot the horses with your hair hanging in your eyes, but so much more satisfying.

1. Projectile vomit

For “The Exorcist” effect, try some pea soup.

The Exorcist • Warner Bros.
    The Exorcist • Warner Bros.